If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bournemouth Belle - 05/07/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Chris_Sav, Jun 24, 2017.

1. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

My footage from Ashurst New Forest, Walworth and Winchfield. I hope you enjoy :)

Tyne Turbine, Mick45305 and Dan Hill like this.
  2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It is perhaps safe to say now, very quietly, that it appears Clan Line managed an 'out and back' trip to Bournemouth yesterday on a hot summer's day on a busy network without anything untoward happening. And I am thinking here especially of fire related problems.

Given that this was a heavy train that needed to be pushed along to keep in its path, you have to be impressed that the crews had the confidence to do what was necessary in the knowledge that the modern technology on the locomotive was capable of keeping things under control, especially through the New Forest. I know that this was not seen as a problem in the 1960s but that was before the lax vegetation maintenance regime of Network Rail and also the introduction of quite a lot of technology plus associated cabling very close to the track rather than up in the air.

So all credit to DBS crews for excellent locomotive management and also to the MNLPS support crew who made certain that the key fire and spark management systems were in place and operational.

With no rain forecast until next week but temperatures cooling off a bit over the weekend we can only hope that Network Rail will be reassured by the events of yesterday and more to the point, DBS will also be able to reassure them that Sunday will be a trouble free day. It just needs the RTC/WCRC trip on the Saturday to behave itself. The good news is that it is also a Bulleid Pacific and in the context of what we are talking about that is a plus point.

3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

My short video of 35028 at Brookwood last night (it also features 34052 on the move from the MHR to Southall):

4. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Some great pictures and videos of what looks like a great first trip back out for 35028. Well done to all involved.

5. Chris_Sav

Chris_Sav Member

Out To Pasture
    Yes a wonderful day out with so much thanks due to so many people, Nice to say hello to Wayne and to Mike who recognised my beer-pump tie

Certainly an atmospheric day!! waiter asked me if I wanted a clean plate, I said no chance!! really impressed by the Pullmans.

[​IMG]

Clan Line was in wonderful form chasing catchup on the way down, touching 80 as we approached Winchester, disappointing we could not get to see her until the welcome leg-stretch at Basingstoke on the way back.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the delay in passing compliment, crisis day at the vets when our wonderful Egyptian Mau had to be resuscitated (so did I when I got the bill)

6. derby2

derby2 New Member

Ran out of jobs
    On behalf of the MNLPS - and not forgetting UK Railtours, DBC, Network Rail, SWT, Belmond and all others involved - Can I say a big "thank you" for the complimentary comments that have been received on here, plus those that have come direct to MNLPS committee members. There were lots of 'plusses' from yesterday, together with a few things to be looked at. What is especially gratifying is the number of people who hadn't travelled on the Belmond British Pullman before, who were delighted with the experience. And it would be easy to say that we expected "Clan Line" to perform as she did, but it was still a remarkable display from a loco fresh off overhaul.
    Would we go down the Bournemouth line again with the Pullmans? Yes probably, and being a commemorative "Bournemouth Belle" we had to go out of Waterloo, with pathing dictating where the water stop was, but as has just been pointed out the drawback was that passengers didn't get to see the loco until Basingstoke on the return. Particularly galling was the barrier that has been erected at Bournemouth blocking off platform 4. Certainly whatever future itineraries we do, allowing passengers the chance to get 'up close' to the loco wherever possible is a major factor in our thinking.
    So to round things off, here's my 'take' of the train passing through the classic LSW main line location of Weybridge in the morning - and there was hardly anyone else there!
    _IMG1051 (cropped).jpg

7. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    That was bad luck Bob. Oh well, you can't win 'em all! At least you saw it in the morning — which is more than I did!

banana patch likes this.
  8. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

What makes it even more galling is that (according to someone up thread) people who weren't on the train were allowed past the barrier in the evening to get a good look at Clan Line, when those of us travelling were either already on Platform 2(?) or hurrying there.

9. thickmike

thickmike Member

Happily Retired
    That is correct. In the morning I challenged the barrier being closed to be told it was "because of the risk of suicide" - I was treated like a 10 year old who didn't know anything about railways. When I challenged the idea of committing suicide in front of a stationary train there was no response. In the evening from platform 2 waiting to board I also challenged why the barrier on P3 was now open with trains running through platform 3 - unfortunately the question was beyond the understanding of the two SWT people I asked so I gave up. However it was really the only low moment of an otherwise superb day.

10. Henry the Green Engine

Henry the Green Engine New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    There was also a jobsworth on Platform 2 at Bournemouth. Two nice ladies calmly asking those who had taken their pics to move back for others and to stay behind the yellow line. All very nice, then as 35028 was pulling away with the ECS for Poole, a male version strode right into the assembled photters, shouting to keep back from the line, jostling them and spoiling any recordings. A touch of paranoia at Bournemouth it would seem.

I hope their will be more BB's, as intimated above, perhaps at a slightly cheaper fare so that I can travel as well.

11. thickmike

thickmike Member

Happily Retired
    Twas always thus - Southampton for the continent - Bournemouth for the in.............

12. thickmike

thickmike Member

Happily Retired
    Great pictures Chris and really good to meet you. Think you got the warm side on the way back!!

Mike

13. thickmike

thickmike Member

Happily Retired
    Agreed, Sir Don - it would be quite an achievement to get through these 5 days without anyone mentioning the dreaded word - which I am not going to do. I would be interested in your view of Clan Line's efforts on Wednesday to MP 31, Battledown and up through Porton? I don't know if anyone has published more detailed timings?

Mike

14. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

I saw the passengers waiting to board the return of the Bournemouth Belle at Bournemouth in the evening. A sea of beige.......

15. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

From what I have read the climb to Battledown was the best bit. I will try to calculate the edbh. Could do with more detail of the days performance for my column, via a PM

16. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    One reason why stations are best avoided

17. Wayne

Wayne New Member

56mph over the top at Grately without pushing her, thinking of potential fire risk.
    That's with around 550 tons behind her.

Mick45305, 26D_M and thickmike like this.
  18. Wayne

Wayne New Member

I've been involved in both her revenue trips since she returned home.
    She still isn't fully run in yet, so we're not pushing her hard.
    But, my golly she's in fine fettle.
    She romped up Porton to Grately with the pulmans Wednesday.
    And effortless away from Shalford Yesterday.
    No more than 195 psi in the steam chest, 45% cut off, 36 mph.
    Shalford to Chilworth was done with 170 psi in the steam chest.
    Compared to 60009 the other week was 29mph.

19. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    We used to have a right old Hitler at Arlesey. Gave me loads of grief one day - "can't enter a station without a ticket" (Arlesey is an open station) so I asked for his name so I could report him to his superiors. He buggered off after that.

20. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    I think jobsworths are everywhere in their standard uniform of a high vis vest. I did an all night bus charter a couple of years ago and had the tripod set up on the seps of the Royal Exchange when the night security man came round and announced 'you can't take pictures here'. I think I upset him when I said 'yes I can look' and showed him the image on the back of the camera. He then want ed my name and address. No chance of that even a police officer needs a good reason to ask that