If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Boiler construction

Discussion in 'Locomotive Engineering M.I.C' started by rough-shunter, Jun 25, 2008.

Tomorrow im visiting a boilersmith at his works to discuss the construction of a boiler for my Large 7 1/4 loco and wish to know is there any questions that need to be asked with regards the construction and such
    thanks
    jordan
    Ps the boilers 52 inch long with a barrel of 12 inches

1. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    sorry Jud

but

how much is it going to cost ?

2. Around £2500 ish for the boiler CE marked

3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There are a multitude of questions that you might wish to ask. A lot will depend on what, if anything, you have specified. If you haven't specified anything and he hasn't specified anything then the list will be very long indeed. Materials and methods of construction need to be considered. Just because the 'person' is a boilersmith does not necessarily mean that what he is proposing is going to be the best, quite often it will be the quickest, easiest and cheapest for him. Who is providing the drawings? Who is responsible for certification? Then there's the commercial aspect. How is he going to be paid? On completion or in stages? Perhaps he is suggesting money up front. (Say no.) What warranty is there? These are just one or two questions that you should already know the answers to. If not, you need to be asking. One further point; all these questions and answers really need to be on a bit of paper. He can tell you one thing and do something else and, if it isn't written down, it is very hard to show that it was agreed.

4. boldford

boldford Member

Sorry for coming in late but it might also be useful to receive copies of any material certificates.