If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway Diesel Gala March 31st-April 2nd 2017

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Captain Fantastic, Dec 1, 2016.

1. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know how they ran the Class 50 round at Horsted Keynes in the evening after they had split the big train? It was shown as running top-and-tail from East Grinstead back to HK with the 20s leading and the 50 on the back. The train then split with the 20s taking the first part of the train to Sheffield Park and the 50 following 20 minutes later with the rest if the train, but my understanding was that the 50 was out of gauge for platforms 4/5 ayt HK and there was track missing from platform 2, so we couldn't work out how the 50 could run round the train before continuing to SP.

2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    (Deleted)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. Zoomeg

Zoomeg New Member

I was on the front 6 (20s) after what appeared to be a buck-eye coupling release (the 20s reversed back and immediately forward again, is this possible?) we were well South of the platform with the rear 6 coaches all in the platform. I think they had cleared the track through platform 2 at the time but didn't see the 50 again until it arrived back at SP

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just re-read the shunt notes, and yes the train stopped with the rear six in the platform; the train was uncoupled and the front portion with the 20s departed to Sheffield Park.

My guess then (I wasn't there) is that the class 50 (still at that point on the north end of the stock) drew it back onto the line north of platform 3/4; and then ran round via Leamland junction, the loop line and the loop to platform 3 crossover, before drawing the stock back into platform 3 ready for departure. That movement was made last winter during the Santas when Platform 3 was out of use (except for an engine-length at the north end) and trains arriving at platform 4 needed to run round without running through platform 2 which had all the Santa entertainment and was crowded. There is space to run round a six coach set using that route.

Tom

5. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

My first visit to the Bluebell. Had a decent day on the trains on Saturday. Not quite as busy as I was expecting.

Some video from the Friday and Sunday

6. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    No I do not currently volunteer
    On Friday the 6 at the back were drawn out to Leamland Bridge by the 50 which then ran through the loop from the Inner Home to P3 then back on. Quick grab from my phone of this somewhat rare move.

Attached Files:

7. 73082

73082 Member

I attended on Saturday and Sunday, when most trains, with the exception of the front coaches, looked surprisingly quiet considering how good the event turned out to be. Nice weather, a good selection of diesels, an intensive timetable, and of course the 12 coach train on Saturday evening followed by the Beerex. A massive thanks to all of the Bluebell staff and volunteers for their hard work, especially to the driver of "Skippy" from Saturday lunchtime when I did "Driver for a Fiver" at Horsted Keynes, which was a fun addition to the day. Some excitement on Sunday as well when the 20s had a problem at Sheffield Park, blocking in the 50 and causing the 73s to have to swap diagrams with it; 20205 then reportedly blew a traction motor on the 10:30 from SP. Despite this, trains mostly kept time, albeit a 20 minute delay to the first train and a few others caused mainly by work being carried out on the starter signals at HK. Anyway, a few of my photos from the thoroughly enjoyable weekend follow...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Jamessquared likes this.
  8. 73082

73082 Member

Can confirm from having been there on Saturday night that this happened.

9. 73082

73082 Member

My videos from the weekend: one feature length, one of the 50 hauling the 12 coach special on Saturday afternoon. Hope yoy enjoy.