If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Northern Extension - so what's occurring then?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by domeyhead, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think this is the 1000th reply in this thread! So a fitting post, here is Bluebell volunteer and newsreader Nicholas Owen narrating this official Bluebell video, recording the completion of our Northern Extension Project which has taken 39 years and cost about £11 Million, almost all raised by and from the Bluebell's membership and the public. The footage was captured on the opening day, 23 March 2013, when the Bluebell Railway's first public steam trains were run out of, and into East Grinstead station.

[youtube]Hsq2DoKn1QM[/youtube]

Tom

2. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Thank you for posting this, Tom. I had my ride on Good Friday, and thoroughly enjoyed the journey. It hardly seemed real when B473 and 323 pulled away from Kingscote and on through the cutting. A fantastic achievement. It will be interestng to see how quickly thngs settle down after the shutdown and the final tidy-up. When Kingscote was reached, the railway felt so different compared withthe days of just operating between Sheffield Park and Horsted Keynes, and this further extenson will change its "feel" again.

One comment on the video above - the mayoress said that East Grinstead is proud of its heritage. I enjoyed my wander along the High Street after completing one of two mundane tasks elsewhere in the town, but I was already aware of the existence of those lovely old buildings and knew where to go, having visited the area before. However, if you come out of the station not knowing where to find East Grinstead's "heritage"and just head towards the town centre, the first couple of hundred yards are hardly an attractive prospect. It will be interesting to see if East Grinstead does benefit from visitors arriving from the railway or whether the main effect of the extension on East Grinstead will be the number of people travelling down from the London/Croydon area by train who just walk between the two stations and either don't visit the town at all, or are put off by the uninspiring nature of the immidiate vicinity of the station(s).

3. Jamessquared

I think that is very much a live issue in East Grinstead, and I'm sure one that the Town Council are considering. For Bluebell passengers starting in the south, the train arrives and departs about twenty minutes later. Realistically there is not much to do at the Bluebell station, beyond buy a cup of tea - so the challenge for EG town is to convince passengers that there is something worth visiting rather than just heading straight back on the train. As you say, the first ten minutes walk aren't the most enticing prospect.

I wonder if we'll start to see various pubs / cafes in the town offering discounts to holders of Bluebell tickets, as an enticement to make that walk? They'd have to find a way of advertising that offer, of course!

Tom

4. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    My first thought is that the Bluebell could have a rack for those little glossy handouts which local attractions use to advertise themselves.

But even better (from the Bluebell's point of view) would be to sell advertisement space on the walls (or a display). Yes, I know, it might not fit in with the intended ambience at all the stations (although I suppose the adverts could be done in a period manner), but on the plus side it would be another income stream (albeit minor) - unless the line did it for free, for good relations with the EG merchants.

Or was that the intended implication of that line, and I'm just slow to wake to it? :eek:hwell:

Noel

5. Jamessquared

No subtext from me! It's a genuine question. Who knows - maybe some will advertise on our timetable leaflet?

Here's a view from the town, rather than the railway, that shows it is clearly an issue local business is considering:

East Grinstead businesses climb aboard the Bluebell Railway 'gravy train' | This is Sussex

Tom

6. RichardSalmon

RichardSalmon New Member

Engineer
    There is already a new East Grinstead Town leaflet available, featuring the Bluebell heavily, along with the other attractions in the town and a map.

The travel centre which the Bluebell has built in its station at East Grinstead not only sells Bluebell services (Golden Arrow dining, Lounge Car teas, and other advance ticket sales), but also acts as a travel centre for the town, selling bus tickets, and providing a location for the various attrations in the town to showcase and advertise their existence.

Cheap "PlusBus" add-on tickets to include a bus ride from EG station to the town centre are already available at all Bluebell ticket offices (thanks to a joint Bluebell/Metrobus collaboration), so that someone travelling from Sheffield Park to East Grinstead will already be in posession of a bus ticket to get them into the town centre.

We did the walk from the station up to the High Street last night - it's a lot smarter than it used to be, so the Railway's arrival in the town has already had an effect, and it really is not very far, although up-hill.

At one time there was even a suggestion of a tram to link the town centre to the station!

Richard

7. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

I'm hoping to go to the Bluebell for a trip in the next month or so, but I *think* the extension will be closing down for a little while. Buuuutttt… I can't find any info on bluebell.com about it…

Can anyone help (and/or shoot the website manager… ;-) )?

Thanks,
    Simon

8. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The extenstion is closing midweek only for 3 weeks from the 15/4/13 onwards - http://www.bluebell-railway.com/timetable-and-fares/04/2013/. The PLC Website states " Special service " on the timetable page - see Timetable & Fares

9. Jamessquared

As Paul says, the midweek service for three weeks from 15 April is Sheffield Park - Kingscote only. Weekends will continue to be SP - EG, using our "new service 2". i.e. two train service with 75 minute frequency from each end.

Tom

10. Jamessquared

Latest update from Chris White, via the Bluebell Newsletter:

Tom

11. quarterjack

quarterjack New Member

In the wrong job.
    I'm very late to this thread but I've just picked up on the thought that a certain loco might seize the chance to escape:

"Hello? Is that the Bluebell Railway? Sorry to disturb you Sir, but do you know a certain Earl of Berkeley? Were you aware that he was stopped in the railway cutting at Talerddig, mid Wales at 4am this morning? Yes, yes, I appreciate your concern. Bit of a surprise for us too. He was making for Machynlleth, apparently. Yes, he's quite safe. Dyfed Powys Police very kindly brought him back to Shrewsbury in time for breakfast. Could you possibly send someone to...yes, yes he's in the bay platform. No, no charges to be brought. I think he feels a bit silly now and just wants to go home. Yes, well if you wouldn't mind.... Cheerio then."

pressforaction likes this.