If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Banbury North Signal Box

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Sidmouth, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A team has been working on a plan to save Banbury North Signal Box which closes this July

Facebook group can be found here https://www.facebook.com/groups/BanburyNorthSignalBox/
    I'll let Rob Kinchin-Smith explain more

Having manged to scale almost all of the tasks given us by Network Rail (survey, maintenance schedule, fence design, heads of terms, liability and buildings insurance, etc), we still have an urgent need to demonstrate the strong financial support and sponsorship needed by Network Rail by May 9th. This is needed to demonstrate the project's financial robustness so that NR can take the risk of NOT demolishing the box during the 9-day Banbury Blockade in late July / early August.

To meet the May 9th deadline, we are urgently seeking:
    · Further Trustees
    · Large or small pledges of financial help towards the up-front capital expenditure (fencing etc)
    · Financial Guarantors

Pledges or guarantees are needed to approx £60,000.
    Unless the financial targets set by Network Rail are met by May 9th, the Project will certainly fall. If we pass the May 9th deadline sucessfully, we have a scheme and can start serious fund-raising for the actual reserves needed.

Offers or pledges may be made to myself, Rob Kinchin-Smith (kinchin-smithr@rpsgroup.com) or Mark Cockerill (mark@rightresultsprojectmanagement.co.uk) . For further clarification, please call Rob Kinchin-Smith (07818 091862)
    Thank you
    Rob

There is a Crowndfunding page set up as well
    https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/banburynorth

Footbridge and Martin Perry like this.
  2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Isn't it a bit late in the day to publicise this now if the appeal closes on 9th may? Every little helps of course but it's often surprising how some groups seem to leave appeals until the last minute and then complain when they don't hit their targets!

Keith

3. Sidmouth

This is a recent request from Network Rail as I understand it . I have to say with NR project managers involved they have a chance and now up to £1000 . If they can get a good amount of pledges it will buy them time . I have made my pledge

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  4. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

I couldn't find anything that told me what they intend to do with it if they were to save it. What are the plans?

5. Sidmouth

Public visits, signalling courses , school visits , railway training . I will try and find out more for you

6. Sidmouth

Apologies for bumping the thread , the Just Giving is now over £2100 and 53 supporters plus close to another £4000 in pledges to Rob and Mark . If you can help please do , donations large and small welcomed

7. Sidmouth

Sorry a further bump

The team behind trying to save Banbury North Signal Box have today announced two donations from local business in support of the project

56 people have now donated to the Just Giving page with almost £2700 raised plus a significant number of direct pledges made to Rob and Mark .

With the May 9th deadline looming anything any of the superb Nat Pres members are willing to donate would be very warmly received

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/banburynorth

8. Sidmouth

A further update from the team

"STOP PRESS! DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 13th MAY

Well, today has almost passed and we're still standing!

Banbury MP Victoria Prentis met Network Rail today, specifically to press our case. From her de-brief it seems she couldn't have batted for us better.

Today we also passed the £10,000 mark on donations and pledges. We also got an initial thumbs up from our appointed structural engineer on the slight lean on the box.

Rather than ruling for, or against us today, Network Rail have now offered to meet with us on Friday 13th May.

So, we can't let up before then. It looks like this campaign will run for at least another week. If you've not pledged or donated yet (details below), please, please do. With a budget of £60,000 to meet, it can only strengthen our hand on the 13th. As previously, any money donated will be returned in full if our project is rejected by Network Rail.

Thank you all that have helped us to date"

nearly 100 people have now donated to the just giving page with over £4500 raised through that route in addition to direct pledges

9. Footbridge

Footbridge Member

10. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

RIP