If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Avon Valley Railway Updates and Videos

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Corbs, May 15, 2013.

1. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I've recently volunteered to help enhance the AVR's online presence, particularly video content, so thought I'd put up a thread to keep it all in, as well as general AVR updates.

Kicking things off, here is a 10-ish minute long video showing three locomotives in operation, getting steam up and shunting over the Family Fun Weekend:

2. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

3. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

For those who missed it, here's the round-up of the railway's first diesel gala back in April:

4. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

5. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Brilliant! I've often considered giving my time and enthusiasm to the Avon Valley Railway, as I do have a particular dream of being the first to drive a 4F into Weston Station. I must admit, the Avon Valley's biggest draw back is the somewhat dated website, which rarely has much information on it for the enthusiast, or updates on current projects, be it expansion or engine restoration.

With the considerable tourist market in both Bath and Bristol, the railway would benefit from better exposure on the internet, and with more regular updates on the progress of expansion plans, locomotive restorations or railway development, you might attract more volunteers too. I must admit part of what puts me off actually volunteering is the apparently lack of progress, which I am sure isn't true.

6. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Very valid point, thanks!
    It's one of the things that I'm really keen to help with, hence mucking in with the youtube channel.
    I do know that part of the website (The photo part) is built on a piece of software that for one reason or another no one can access or update - the admin team are investigating alternatives. A flickr plugin might be suitable but my personal expertise doesn't encompass integrating such a thing into the site :(
    There are stacks of photos, both official and ones people have submitted, waiting to be uploaded but it's sadly stalled at the moment.

It's work following the facebook and twitter accounts if you do those sorts of things.
    Here are some links:
    https://twitter.com/AVRbitton
    https://www.facebook.com/AVRbitton?fref=ts

I've uploaded a number of pics to the facebook site and started to categorise them so there are updated photos online, and there are regular updates and pics on the twitter account.

Coming soon -the ex-BR 07 shunter is to be repainted into blue!

7. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Sounds like time for a rebuild and re-launch? Just have to look at the Spa Valley's (http://www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk/) and Mid Hants (http://www.watercressline.co.uk/) to see what you have to compete with now, aesthetically at least.

You could also do with a new section on projects, both short and long term. Nothing like some big ideas for the future to attract some new enthusiastic volunteers!

On the whole though, the new social media presence, and the YouTube videos, are excellent, well done!

Corbs likes this.
  8. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    News regarding the AVR's latest visitor for their 'End of Season' gala on 19th-20th October, 2013. <BJ>

[​IMG]
    General information
    We are pleased to announce that GWR 78xx Manor Class No. 7822 ‘Foxcote Manor’ will our guest locomotive for this year’s End of Season Gala. Foxcote Manor was built in 1950 at British Railway’s Swindon works. It was part of a post-war batch of 10 locomotives built at the works, taking the total number of Manor’s to 30.
    The engine is now based at the Llangollen Railway and we are pleased to make Bitton its home for a few weeks. The engine will feature in our End of Season Gala as well as a number of other special events including an evening fish and chip special, a driver experience course and a photo charter.
    Timetable and roster
    The End of Season Gala will feature both passenger and demonstration freight services, express and stopping passenger services and double headed services using all available steam engines.
    The locomotives rostered to work during the weekend are as follows:
    • GWR 78xx Manor Class No. 7822 ‘Foxcote Manor’
    • RSH 0-6-0T No. 7151
    • Ferrum 0-6-0T No. 4015 ‘Karel’
    • Austerity 0-6-0ST No. 15 ‘Earl David’
    A copy of the passenger timetable will be made available online and will be provided free of charge to fare paying passengers. A ‘working timetable’ which also shows light engine and freight moves will be available to purchase for a small cost nearer the time.

Corbs likes this.
  9. Just_Sayin

Just_Sayin New Member

Technician
    Looking at the AVR website, do you not run any trans at your Beer Fest?

10. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I believe that's in the downtime period in between the end of season/halloween and the start of santa specials. I could be wrong but I believe that to be the case. There are a few beer festivals held at the railway throughout the year though :)

11. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Managed to pop down to Bitton on Saturday Morning and Dave took me through progress on the BR 07. I edited this small update/behind the scenes video:

12. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

It's the 1940s weekend today and tomorrow on the AVR. I was down there earlier taking video, two passenger and one goods train in operation all day. The goods rake looked fantastic and extra effort was made to shunt the brake van to the rear of the train at each end of the line, which is a nice touch!
    Also, local hero Bill Bailey paid a visit, with Bill getting a ride in austerity 'Earl David'.
    Screen Shot 2013-09-28 at 22.13.13.png

Sadly WD Diesel loco 'Grumpy' - which served in France during WW2, had a failure at Oldland Common with an ECS working and Ruston No.429 was quickly dispatched to drag him back to Bitton. Tomorrow should see even more WW2 era re-enactors and their vehicles on display so pop down if you can!

13. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Philip Fowler of Lantern Films made today's video, a little 'how to' on cooking breakfast using a 7F!

14. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

15. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Morning all

In support of the visit of 7822 Foxcote Manor and following on from the tremendous success of the evening shoot last year with 7564 I am running an evening shoot on the 1st November . Cost is £25 and numbers are limited to 20 people with all monies raised going to the railway

If you would like a booking form please drop me a PM or details are available on both the yahoo group or facebook page

Hope you can join us and as a taster an image from last year

[​IMG]
    016 (800x600) by Martin Creese, on Flickr

Corbs likes this.
  16. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Hey everyone!
    I made a 1940s themed/inspired highlights video from the World War 2 weekend!
    See it here:

Also, it's the end of season gala this weekend. Foxcote Manor has arrived!

[​IMG]

17. free2grice

Foxcote Manor is running light engine at the railway today (gauging, crew familiarisation?). Looking good in the sunshine. <BJ>

Corbs likes this.
  18. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Just got back from the gala, it was brilliant! Lots of variation and rarely a quiet moment. 'Official' video to come over the next few weeks but in the meantime enjoy this footage shot by 'itfcsam' yesterday:

A few photo highlights:
    Triple header on Saturday
    [​IMG]

and Foxcote Manor on the goods, what a loco!
    [​IMG]

Azrall likes this.
  19. free2grice

7822 'Foxcote Manor' is hauling 6 Mk.1s at the Avon Valley Railway today. Lots of slipping and barking from 7822 although I'm not so sure about the Somerset and Dorset coach nameboards!! ;) <BJ>

20. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member