If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Autotrain working

Discussion in 'Locomotive M.I.C.' started by John Elliot Jnr, Feb 3, 2008.

1. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    Seeing the first images of the GW autotrain workings on the Bluebell made we wonder whether autotrain operations require specific coverage in the Rule Book. I can't imagine that the Bluebell Railway Rule Book covers autotrain working, so has a special Appendix had to be published, are such workings dealt with in another way, or is there no need to do anything?

I'd be very interested to hear....

2. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Can't speak for the Bluebell, but for us, when an unusuall working is to take place not covered by the rule book, or where there can be uncertainty as to how to apply the rule book, a notice will be issued.
    This happens every year for instance with the manovers at Arley on our santa workings, were there are some un-usuall moves.

3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Apart from rules governing the number of people on the footplate and where the token should be carried, what other rules need qualifying/amending?

4. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    i guess it could also need something done about "pushing" the coach .

5. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    Perhaps something to do with driver/fireman communication; the requirement for the fireman to adjust the locomotive cutoff; coupling of locomotive to the coach and testing of linkages...

I have no experience whatsoever of autocoach working so that's really why I'm asking the question.

6. davycrocket

davycrocket Member

A Special Operations Notice has been published and includes the instructions for operation.
    Such as, where staff should be, who does what during an incident, stabling and communications.

7. Gilo

Gilo New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    On the SDR within the rulebook we have a part of the sectional appendix which covers the working of Autotrains.
    Bell codes are used to communicate from the driver to the fireman, and the fireman is responsible for creating and maintaining the brake, notching up/down and assisting the driver with opening and shuting the regulator as and when required.
    Only senior firemen (those that have been in the job 6 years or so) are permitted to do auto work on the branch.
    Apart from during the training period for passing as an auto fireman, no one else is permitted on the footplate when the driver is in the vestibule.