If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Autotrailer W233W

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Steve Huddy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Steve Huddy

Steve Huddy Member

Accountant
    Restoration of W233W at Buckfastleigh is proceeding apace - see http://www.auto169.co.uk/workon233.htm for photos and details of progress.

2. Steve Huddy

Steve Huddy Member

Accountant
  3. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

We are manufacturing some new droplight windows for 233 and are in need of the metalwork (8 sets)that is attached to the bottom of the wood. Does anyone have any surplus, or as we are researching making some, does anyone need any?
    Cheers

John

4. Premier.Prairie

5. Premier.Prairie

Reading General likes this.
  6. Steve Huddy

Steve Huddy Member

Accountant
  7. Premier.Prairie

Next installment of W233 progress now available, including pics of the enhanced viewing arrangements for disabled passengers at the Luggage end. See http://www.auto169.co.uk/workon233.htm

John

8. Premier.Prairie

9. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Any news? Nothing posted since August. Is it still the intention to go mainline?

10. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This is the best I can do with these photos sent to me today as one of the coach restorers. They have still to be put on the web site.

Attached Files:

11. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Probably better to unzip the photos and repost them. Most people are (quite rightly) hesitant to download a zip file from an unknown source!

Keith

12. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

A vehicle with a colourful history, I think it's right to retain as much of the modifications as possible as well as restoring the vehicle. Looks like great workmanship going in to it

13. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

GWR Man- Is there any reason , barring incapacity on behalf of the blog maintainer, why this information isn't being listed on your blog in a regular fashion. Say once a week as most railway blogs are.

Yours started off well, generating many followers as you must have wanted to encourage support, then big gaps appear with no information. The last update was midsummer and the clocks go back on Sunday!

Your project is a very worthwhile one but you must realise that having started a blog and attracted many followers to it, if the blog isn't maintained then the assumption is that the project has failed, which it clearly hasn't.

Basically for your own sakes, if you can't maintain a blog, don't start one!

Again if the reason for the blog not being maintained is the incapacity or worse of the blog maintainer, then kindly disregard the above and accept my sympathy.

14. GWR Man.

Please note I am nothing doing with the web site or blog at all as I am only the apprentice chippie, and have been sent the photos. I am normally doing the work at Williton and the coach is down on the SDR so not involved on doing actual work on the coach.

Yes the blogger has been getting a thick ear, but he has just come back from a holiday so hopefully be updated soon.

nick813 likes this.
  15. GWR Man.

Still trying to learn windows 10 so now got them on here.

Attached Files:

davidarnold and gwalkeriow like this.
  16. GWR Man.

The blog has now been updated.

17. GWR Man.

The blog hasn't been updated yet but here are the photos.

The first photo is showing part of the steam pipe.

The second photo is showing the steam pipe hose fitting.

The third photo is showing more pipework in the driving cab.

Also at last 169 is back under cover and I will try to take some photos of it on Saturday and post on here. P1010213edit.jpg P1010214edit.jpg P1010215edit.jpg

nick813 likes this.
  18. GWR Man.

DSCF2875.jpg Not W233 but under the same ownership 169 which with most of the timber work finished on W233 is now having another major start on again. This shows the first quarter that has been rebuilt and the next quarter is well advanced in the work shop.

Kinghambranch likes this.
  19. GWR Man.

Taken from a fresh blog which isn't on the web site yet.

Clive

Clive writes - I haven’t been over the moor to work at Buckfastleigh for the last two Wednesdays, very remiss of me I know. However, knowing that you, or at least our other reader, will be waiting with bated breath as to where we are, I dropped in to give you an update as part of a shopping avoidance scheme.

The main thing is that Ray and Brian have continued to make excellent progress under the solebar. The images below show further work under the cab, the vacuum pipe having reached the other end, and electrics coming on at both positions.

P1010221edit.jpg P1010218edit.jpg

The coded welder obviously arrived because the new fittings made in the workshop for the autogear and shown in the blog for 21st October, have now been assembled.
    P1010216edit.jpg P1010219edit.jpg

Having mentioned the 21st October blog, if you look at the luggage end image you’ll see a sign on the lefthand wall. This is a sign I prepared in genuine GWR style to outline what we’ve achieved. I thought you might like to see the wording:

NOTICE
    WELCOME TO W233W
    This coach was built at Swindon Works in 1953 to a Great Western Railway design. It is an autocoach, which means that the engine driver can drive the engine from the cab in the coach whilst the fireman stays on the locomotive footplate managing the boiler. We are an independent group that also owns GWR prairie tank 5542 which is the ideal locomotive to haul an autocoach.​
    The coach finished its passenger service with BR in 1964 and was subsequently used by BR for a variety of non-passenger purposes. Its claim to fame is that it was part of a test train for the new Channel Tunnel and achieved 104 m.p.h. in the tunnel. We purchased the coach in July 2013, at which time it had no seats, a large diesel generator inside it, sinks, computer equipment, and all its complex auto-train gear had been removed years ago.
    It has subsequently been completely rebuilt. The steel and timber body framework and galvanised steel panelling has been renewed where necessary, and virtually everything that you can see is either new, refurbished or rebuilt. New autogear has been manufactured in the workshops and is now reinstalled. The vehicle has become an autocoach for the 21st Century. Enjoy your day with us.
    If you want to look at our blog to see the detail of what we have done, please go to www.auto169.co.uk/workon233.htm
    Thank you for looking. Locomotive 5542 Ltd.

davidarnold likes this.
  20. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Thanks for the update GWR Man, can't wait for a ride in her.