If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Appeal for L&NWR / LMS/ BR(M) loan items for small museum

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by andyb, Apr 29, 2013.

1. andyb

andyb New Member

Hi Folks

I wonder if anyone would be able to help with the loan of items of local interest for a heritage centre being set up in a station on the former L&NWR Oxford to Cambridge line? Sadly we don't have a budget for purchases - yet.

I'm particularly interested in the loan of photographic items, especially heritage views of stations and trains on the Bedford to Bletchley section, also Ridgmont station and the local Forders Brickworks (now the site of Amazon.co.uk's huge distribution centre).

Also looking for the loan of railwayana items that could be displayed on a wall (eg signs) or a shelf (eg block instrument or smaller items).

We would also like to try and reinstate the groundframe that used to reside outside the station building, which would have been operated by the Porter/Crossing Keeper, and so would be interested in hearing from anyone who might be able to source a suitable L&NWR or LMS groundframe of up to around 12 levers.

There are also plans to return the booking office to its former condition so if anyone has a suitable ticket rack or any equipment associated with the issuing of tickets that could be loaned with a view to eventual purchase....

A small café and shop on site from which we may be able to sell your railwayana and surplus model railway items on commission.

If you have anything suitable that we could consider I would love to hear from you.

Cheers

Andy

2. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It may be worth contacting the National Railway Museum - they have been clearing up over the last couple of years and seem to have equipment to spare and may let you have something. But I can't guarantee it!

Also try Bedfordshire archive and the county museums service particularly for local photos and possibly smaller items.

And come and see us at St Albans South - might give you some ideas! (See www.sigbox.co.uk for information and opening dates.)
    John Webb
    (Member, St Albans Signal Box Preservation Trust)

3. andyb

andyb New Member

Thanks for that, John.

I have been looking at the NRM reserve collections on their website and have spotted a couple of items that may be suitable. Trouble is, although we are getting advice and working closely with staff at the Bedfordshire Museums Service, we haven't ourselves achieved 'Museum' status as yet. My understanding from the website is that you need to be an established (and registered) entity before the NRM will consider loaning to you. But as you say it might well be a good idea to contact the NRM - if only to introduce ourselves...

Will look forward to visiting you - thanks for the info link.

Regards

Andy

4. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    St Albans South is not a registered museum, and we've only been established as a restored and preserved box since 2008. The NRM might have been kind to us as we did win the Invensys Rail Signalling Award in the 2010 National Railway Heritage Awards scheme, so they probably realised we meant business!

We are members of the Herts Museum Group, and not all the museums in that are formally registered under the (former) MHA accreditation scheme.

Another potential source of equipment and useful contacts, particularly with Network Rail, is the Heritage Railway Association - see www.heritagerailways.com
    Regards,
    John

andyb likes this.