If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Anyone seen this before?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by neildimmer, Apr 15, 2009.

1. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Hi All

Anyone have an idea what all this was about, a photo of Black 5 45207 taken at Lancaster by Bill Wright (who has given permission for me to use his photos) on the 5th August 1967 nearly 20 years after nationalisation
    http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.n ... 56477.html

Neil

2. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There were a few locos turned out in the mid- to late-'sixties with pre-nationalisation markings, and sometimes numbers, applied, Crab 2942 of Birkenhead was certainly one of them. Enthusiasts not only cleaned engines (perhaps not in this case) but also made their preferrences known.

Makes an interesting comparison to forty years later, when the trend is to turn out everything in BR liveries!

3. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Interesting shot Neil ! I love to see anything from the Lancaster area from the days when I was a teenage spotter *blush*. I must have been around the station on that date but don't recall any gossip about it.

4. 23E

23E Member

5. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Sorry it was my mistake i meant 45209, mistakes happen

Neil

6. melp

melp New Member

I am certain that the BR Green lined tenders both Fowler 3500 and Stanier 4000 will have come from Jubilees - some Jubilees swapped their Fowler tenders for Stanier 4000's from 8F's.
    Not sure about the lined black - maybe the tender came from a mixed traffic Black 5 ?

7. steam-loco

steam-loco New Member

Guilty!!!
    A group of us had spent the previous night on Huddersfield station photographing the numerous trains that passed during the night.
    There were oil trains, newspaper trains, parcel trains and the odd passenger train.
    The Black 5 spent an hour or so in the very early hours of Saturday morning in the bay platform on the Manchester side of the station. During a lull in activity we set to work with some chalk and that was the result.
    Happy days (and nights)

8. Columbine

Columbine Member

These impromptu events used to happen well before 1968 too. I can remember an 'Austerity' at the site of Ordsell Lane in around 1963 with the name 'Duane Eddy' chalked on the smokbox!

Regards

9. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Archive footage shows one of the Black Fives working on the last day of the GCR in 1966 had "Great Central" chalked on the tender either side of the Lion emblem where "British Railways" should of been.