If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

And now for something .....

Discussion in 'Photography' started by StoneRoad, Mar 14, 2010.

1. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Late Feb 2011 Update to StoneRoad’s fotopic.

Hi there, everyone:

During the past couple of days I have updated several fotopic collections, to record the recent progress on various projects. The Index page is in my signature; scroll down for the links to the most recent work – alpha/numeric listing (please, check the “more collections” link for other items).

Most of the recent work has concentrated on the Saltburn Cliff Lift.
    The car we are re-building has now been completed structurally and we have begun the interior work. In addition, we are continuing to work on the components for the “Victorianisation” of both cars. There is still a lot of work to do before Easter……

http://stanegaterestorationsandreplicas.fotopic.net/p69190811.html

As I have continued (slowly) sorting out and indexing the photographic records, one or two collections have gained a few extra pictures - no doubt there will be some further *lost* images to be found!

Enjoy a good look around – you might be surprised!:eyebrows:
    Thanks for looking and thumbnail clicking!

StoneRoad

2. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

FOTOPIC Status Report - 2011 March 15

Please be advised that with Fotopic currently unavailable, normal service will be resumed when I have decided on an alternative host for the image collections, and done some uplaods.....

Apologies, an' all that!

StoneRoad

3. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

As a result of the sudden, and unexplained, disappearance of fotopic on the 9th March 2011, a small selection from the 800+ images – from two galleries – are now hosted on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/sets/

Currently there are two sets for current work (Saltburn Cliff Lift and the Miller Fifer), and a further eleven sets for past projects.

As yet; the image titles, tags and captions (descriptions) are still a work in progress, and I will be adding others shortly.

4. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

As a result of the sudden, and unexplained, disappearance of fotopic on the 9th March 2011, a selection from the 800+ images – from two galleries – are now hosted on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/sets/

Currently there are three sets for current work (Saltburn Cliff Lift, NER 70 and the Miller Fifer), a further seventeen sets for past projects and another six sets covering other subjects.
    As yet; the image titles, tags and captions (descriptions) are still a work in progress, and I will be adding others shortly – as and when I find them!

The concentration of our efforts on the Saltburn Cliff Lift project had meant that work on other aspects had been postponed until the lift was re-opened to the public on 22nd April 2011. As that milestone has now been successfully passed, we can extend our attention to other matters, including updating websites, including flickr.

Recent flickr updates include the cliff lift:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/sets/72157626203331345/
    And further uploads of material that was previously on fotopic.

Thanks for looking – please explore my photostream, and click on some images!

StoneRoad

5. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Flickr updates to Mid-May 2011

Over the last few days, I have been able to spend time sorting out images and I have retrieved about 150 images that I thought had disappeared into the ether. These have been uploaded to the Flickr account, and I have titled, captioned and tagged them. This brings me up to just over 700 images, and I hope that I have got all the important ones – if I find any more lurking around…….

Currently there are three sets for current work (which includes the Saltburn Cliff Lift, NER 70, and the Miller Fifer), a further twenty-two sets for twenty-eight past projects, and another six sets for additional images. This covers the wide range of projects carried out in the period from October 2006 to the present time.

As we are starting some new projects in the very near future, I will add sets for them as soon as I have the images.....

To help find the most recently uploaded images within the sets - I have added *New* to the title of the extra sets, and *Updated* to those sets with additional images. These notations will remain posted for about ten days or so.

As my photostream displays in the order of uploading, and I am adding images as I locate them, the image chronolgical order does not match......please note that some of the EXIF dates are very wrong, even some from the camera with the currently right date! This will be attended to shortly…..

Thanks for looking – please explore my sets and photostream, and click on some images! Then I’ll know what is popular (or not!)

StoneRoad
    (Link is in my signature)

6. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Mid – May Updates.

Just dropped by to post that since I have re-uploaded almost all the images, at last I have been able to revise all the links on my ‘homepage’ website. As a by-product of that I have reworked the current and past project pages. No doubt there will be a few more amendments and lost images to find and sort out……

StoneRoad

7. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Late May updates.

Recent updates are mainly to the flickr site, although there have been a couple of minor edits to my homepage. There are still a few changes to make, but some more details are needed before that can be done.
    Most of the new images are to the NER70 and Miller Fifer sets, with a few others as well. Also a new set “Steel Underframe” has been added - these images have just recently been supplied by the people who fabricated the WHHR underframes some years ago.

Thanks for looking – please explore, and click on some images! Please comment, here or there, if you want.

StoneRoad

8. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Flickr updates start of June 2011

I have posted a few extra images to NER70 and the Miller Fifer sets to show current progress, and added to the 1001 things to restore set. There should be more new progress to show shortly.
    As always, for you to click on images and even make comments - and fav’ing - would be welcome when you are exploring my collections, sets and photostream.

StoneRoad
    (Link is in my signature)

9. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Flickr updates early June 2011

Yesterday I posted some more images of current progress with the NER70 restoration; and a few of the Chip Van taken during the recent visit to Spennymoor. I will also have a link to a short video filmed during the event to post quite soon. There are some additional images of model furniture and I’ve replaced one tiny image of the B5 traction engine with a slightly better one.

Enjoy! The link is in my signature.

StoneRoad

10. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Flickr updates in the last days of June 2011

Over the couple of days I have been adding images to my photostream. The main area of attention during the past week or so has been the building of the Aveling & Porter awning (or canopy) although work is still progressing on the Miller and NER70.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/5882753112/in/photostream

There is a new set “Film Units” which will include most of the various teams who have visited the workshop to watch us at work, as well as filming coverage of some of our products at work. I hope to be adding more to this shortly.
    Additionally, I have posted a few more “backdated” images – this process is almost complete as there are now only a few still missing, as I have looked in most of the usual places.
    Unfortunately, the unveiling of our major new work project has had to be postponed for a little while; I am hoping to do so during July, so watch this space – as they say!

The link in my signature will take you to my “sets” page, so please enjoy exploring….
    Thanks for looking
    StoneRoad

11. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Early July Updates

I have just updated my homepage as the go-ahead has just been given for our newest project, the restoration – for operation on the Pockerley Waggonway – of the Forcett Coach; otherwise known as Stockton & Darlington No.179. Technically this is third class, but it was part of a rake of carriages, built for market day services and is rather basic. The link is to a sample image in the set for this project:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/5916103562/in/set-72157627139592710

Work is progressing nicely on the other projects – that is; the Aveling & Porter steam roller awning, NER70 and the Miller Fifer. Several updates for these should be added quite soon, as I want to make sure that I have the best images of the recent work to upload.

Thanks for looking, and please enjoy exploring my photostream…..
    StoneRoad

12. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Mid July Updates

I have just dropped by to say that most of the extra images promised last time have now been uploaded to the sets for current projects. Also, we were invited to the official opening of Davy’s Coal-fired chip shop at Beamish on the 14th July, and took some pictures of the proceedings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/5941419114/in/photostream

I invite you to have a look around my flickr site……
    StoneRoad

13. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Late July Updates - 20th July 2011

Yesterday I added a few more images of current work, to keep things up to date. In a couple of days I shall be able to do the same again, as the various projects are progressing! When we took up the floorboards, we found a minor problem with the Forcett coach……
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/5955108154/in/photostream

Thanks for looking, comments are welcome – here or on flickr.
    StoneRoad

14. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

October 2011 UPDATES:

For a number of reasons I have not posted about recent additions to my flickr photostream since 2011 July 21. However, several updates had been made between then (19/7/11) and now (11/10/11) totaling 47 images. Projects covered by these are Miller Fifer, the Forcett Coach and the Aveling and Porter stream roller canopy. As sometimes happens, a few images from further back in time have also been uploaded. This means I am spoilt for choice of an image to linkback ! So I’ll have several!
    Miller Fifer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/6214820174/in/photostream
    Forcett : http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/6214822406/in/photostream
    A&P : http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/6128453470/in/photostream/
    Please enjoy a meander into my photostream, have a click, comment or even select a favourite. I have added some galleries as well, these have other peoples images…..

Thanks for looking.
    StoneRoad

15. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Start of December 2011 UPDATES:

Although I have been adding to my flickr during November, for various reasons I have not posted much anywhere since Mid-October despite uploading approaching 150 images. However, quite a major part of these recent uploads have been largely un-related to normal work subjects – there have been quite a significant number of images related to Ben and Harry (the set descriptions will explain the details……)
    Ben:BDD - throw the ball | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Harry:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/6302393891/in/photostream

Hopefully service should be back to normal now, and we are waiting to get on with some new work. In the meantime, work is continuing on the Miller Fifer, NER70 and the Forcett Coach.
    See
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/6401511465/in/set-72157627139592710 for a sample.

If you would like a little light reading, try the December 2011 issue of “Old Glory” – it has an illustrated article profiling Stanegate Restorations and Replicas.

Please - enjoy a meander into my photostream, have a click, add a comment or maybe select a favourite (or several). I have added some galleries as well; these have other peoples’ images…..
    Thanks for looking.
    StoneRoad

16. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

If I haven’t already - With very best wishes for the coming year, sorry if they are a little late !
    Start of January 2012 UPDATES:

Since my last updates, in mid December, I have been posting images to the flickr account. Over the past weekend I added something in the region of 30. Some have been work-related, but a few others are not and others are retrievals from the ether or are scanned photographs. Apologies if some of the latter are a little grainy or a little different in colour balance……
    For the work images, most are for the Miller and the Forcett Coach. (a few more are of Ben)
    MF - looking in from side | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    BM FC - coach corner | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    BDD - snowy dog | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    If you visit the sets index page, the *new* and *updated* markers are in the appropriate set titles, as yet I have not added markers to the images themselves.

As I have mentioned before - If you would like a little light reading, try the December 2011 issue of “Old Glory” – it has an illustrated article profiling Stanegate Restorations and Replicas. This gives a very good summary of recent projects……

Please – feel free to dip into my photostream, have a click, if you are a flickr member – you will be able add a comment or maybe even select a favourite (or several). I have added some galleries as well; these have other peoples’ images…..
    Thanks for looking.
    StoneRoad

17. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Mid to Late January Updates:

Just dropped by to say that I have just uploaded a few images of recent progress on the Forcett Coach, which just go to show that this was never going to be an easy job! The linked image shows the new and old end cills. I hope to be able to add a couple more images quite soon.
    BM FC - new and old end cills | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for looking, commenting etc
    StoneRoad

18. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

February 2012 UPDATES:

Since my last updates, at the end of January, I have been posting more images to the flickr account. I had hoped to do this in several stages; however, by few days ago I had added something in the region of forty images.
    Mostly they are work related – the first two links specifically showing further work to the Forcett Coach, the third one is the Miller Fifer…..but there are a few other subjects, as well.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/6870485103/in/set-72157627139592710/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/6920953533/in/set-72157627139592710/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/6774725320/in/set-72157626203069641
    Spring lambs and a happy Ben – who is really improving his skills.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/6774448096/in/set-72157628103216792
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/6920870801/in/set-72157628026767272
    I hope these links work.....
    If you visit the ‘Sets’ index page, the *new* and *updated* markers are in the appropriate set titles, as yet I have not added markers to the images themselves – I am using the ‘date uploaded’ marker instead.

Please – feel free to paddle in my photostream, have a click or three. If you are a flickr member – you will be able add a comment or maybe even select a favourite (or several). There are some galleries as well; these have other peoples’ images…..I have added some remarks as to why I added the selected images.

Thanks for looking.
    StoneRoad

PS. We also got onto the tele – a short segment in the first episode of “Britain’s Heritage Heroes” presented by John Craven and Jules Hudson broadcast by BBC2 on 6[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2012. It was on iplayer....

19. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

The last update posts were in February, but during March 41 images were uploaded, and another 26 images to date in April. There should be a few more in a day or three. We have been making steady progress on a number of projects, both existing and new ones. We have another, major, project in the final stages of making the arrangements – all will be made clear in very soon, and I will be putting more updates on my homepage to take account of these changes in due course.
    Forcett – BM FC - replaced headstock | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Miller – MF - cockpit drains | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Sentinel *new* – *New* Sentinel Steam Waggon - a set on Flickr
    The new apprentice – Ben deDog – has continued to improve and is started to develop some real character…..and he likes the sea !
    Ben – BDD - surfing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    We have also had a few “awaydays” as all work and no play makes for a stressful life…..
    Coniston – Bluebird, in memory. *New* - a set on Flickr
    If you visit the sets index page, the *new* and *updated* markers are in the appropriate set titles, as yet I have not added markers to the images themselves.
    We also have just started our second trainee in her placement under the Engineering Heritage Skills Initiative. I will set up a new collection and sets to cover this scheme very shortly, as I need to take some specific images, and retrieve some others.
    As I have mentioned before - If you would like a little light reading, try the April 2012 issue of “Old Glory” – it has an illustrated article covering the restoration of Berriman’s Chip Van for Beamish Museum by Stanegate Restorations and Replicas.
    This project was included within the BBC2 Program “Brick by Brick – Rebuilding the Past” which was broadcast at 2100 yesterday. (Friday 13[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2012), I believe it will be on i-player for a few more days.
    BBC iPlayer - Brick by Brick: Rebuilding Our Past: Episode 2
    Please – feel free to dip into my photostream, have a click, if you are a flickr member – you will be able add a comment or maybe even select a favourite (or several). I have added some galleries as well; these have other peoples’ images…..
    Thanks for looking, commenting etc
    StoneRoad

20. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Many Apologies for the lateness of this post !!! all will become clear(ish) with the info in the next post ref Early June 2012......in the meantime!

Early May 2012 UPDATES:

Since my last updates, during April, I have been posting more images to the flickr account. I have done this in several stages; however, by yesterday I had added somewhere in the region of forty images. I have also updated my homepage, a further update is due very soon……
    Mostly they are work related – the first link specifically shows further work to the Forcett Coach, the next one is the Miller Fifer, which is due a few extra images as we have reached a milestone – the engine runs! Which, if it will stop raining, will be photographed……..but there are a few other subjects, as well.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/7158135186/in/set-72157627139592710
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/sets/72157626203069641/
    We attended the graduation of the first group of EHSI trainees, and I’ve a few images of the event.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/7136314789/in/set-7215629848432497/
    As a small project, we built a display case for a model of a “Double Fairlie” locomotive.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60884630@N06/7157938232/in/set-72157629640968487
    If you visit the ‘Sets’ index page, the *new* and *updated* markers are in the appropriate set titles, as yet I have not added markers to the images themselves – I am using the ‘date uploaded’ marker instead.
    Please – feel free to splash around in my photostream, let me know what you spot by having a click or three. If you are a flickr member – you will be able add a comment or maybe even select a favourite (or several). There are some galleries as well; these have other peoples’ images…..I have posted remarks as to why I added the selected images.
    Thanks for looking.
    StoneRoad