If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

And now for something .....

Discussion in 'Photography' started by StoneRoad, Mar 14, 2010.

1. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    ..... if not completely different, than at least not common (with apologies to Monty Python!)

I have recently updated both my homepage and some of the assoicated fotopic collections.

I think that you'll find them interesting, how about a coke-fired horse drawn chip van? (yes, you did read that!)

I try to keep the fotopic sections (in particular) updated with developments, and I hope to be able to have to add another significant new project quite soon. When that happens I'll add to this thread. You are welcome to comment - here or there.

Thanks for looking!
    StoneRoad

2. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Just a quick note to say that the Beamish Bread Van collection has been updated today, I have also added a couple of other images elsewhere. (No prizes for finding them - sorry!)

3. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

4. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Also, I should have added that the restored pulling lifeboat "William Riley of Birmingham and Leamington" has just paid a short visit for some minor attention. The White whalebacks have been repainted, and the varnish 'refreshed' before the visit to the Ffestinog Railway's "Quirks and Curiosities" Gala in May 2010.

http://stanegaterestorationsandreplicas.fotopic.net/c1674803.html

There are some more images to be added to this collection (hopefully by tonight!)

5. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

It's that time again!
    Just done some updates to my home page and the image collections.
    Most of the projects are long term, and with a small team it often looks as though nothing has been happening, until a lot of previously machined timber is built up into something.
    The Chip Van progress has been like that - we are now at the trial build stage, so there is something to show!
    One or two other changes have been made recently, as well.
    Thanks for looking, if you click on the thumbnails, then I get to know what is popular!
    StoneRoad

6. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Morning all!

Yesterday I did a quick update, by adding a few more images to two project collections, the family saloon NER70 and the Miller Fifer.

Thanks for looking....
    StoneRoad

7. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

8. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Early July update.

We have had a busy week or so, and made quite a bit of progress. There are some more images of the Chip Van, and one or two other collections have also been updated. If all goes well, a few more shots will show up quite soon.

Thanks for looking!
    StoneRoad

9. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Loads of very high quality work being carried out there, very impressed! Very good to see such a mixture of work carried out.

The work on the wagons is the most familiar to me, we are currently rebuilding a LBSCR 5 plank with a completly new oak underframe. Once that is completed we have another dozen or so mainly LBSCR wagons to do the same to. Oh and a couple of IWCR 8 T vans. Not to mention a fleet of pre grouping bogie and 4wh coaches to restore and maintain!

Should keep us happy for years to come.

Cheers Gary

10. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Thanks for your kind comments.
    I agree, Green oak underframes are weighty items!

11. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Hello there,

Mid July update.

I have just posted a few extra images, mainly to the Fowler collection : http://stanegaterestorationsandreplicas.fotopic.net/c1848703.html

Several others in various collections have also been added, as work is proceeding on the Chip Van, NER 70, and the Miller.
    Some are actually 'backdated', and there should be some more quite soon....

Thanks for looking!
    StoneRoad

12. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

As promised, a quick update. (no direct links, the one in my signature takes you to the index, scroll down a bit for the collection list)
    Some more images of further progress on the Chip Van and NER70 have been posted. We are waiting for the metal cladding to arrive, and doing some other work in the meantime. Rubbing down wooden waggon wheels is hard work, and as yet I've not got a good enough photo! NER70 continues to be interesting, we are finding some interesting things...
    Thanks for looking
    StoneRoad

13. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Early August Update (and end of July):

Progress in the last few days has included:-

The metal cladding for the Chip Van has arrived, and we have done a dry fit. The rest of the paint has arrived just in time. More work on the wheels has taken place, and the metal parts have come back from the bead blasting. Things are starting to come together.
    A couple of additional "backdated" images have been posted recently.
    Some more work has been done on NER70, and this next week will see further progress on the Miller. :photo:I should have taken additional images of this in time for the next update.

Thanks for looking! the link in my signature takes you to the index, scroll down to find the collections. (you could even explore the more collections link, if you have not been there before!)

Take Care
    StoneRoad

14. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Mid August Update (if somewhat slightly delayed).

Greetings from the North - it is now raining and somewhat windy....

I have just finished updating the fotopic collections, mainly showing the recent work done on cladding the bodywork of the Chip Van, and a range of other tasks such as the repairs and painting of the wheels.
    Although we have been working on NER70 and the Miller as well, the best images of the progress we have made are not quite ready to be posted, so I'm sorry, but a further wait is in order.
    As usual, there are two or three ‘backdated’ shots in other collections, as well.

You are welcome to have a look around at some of our previous work, as we have done quite a range of projects. No prizes for spotting the additions to the older projects!

Enjoy your visit, clicking on thumbnails tells me what is popular....

StoneRoad.

15. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Early September update.

Just dropped by to say that I have added a few images to the Chip Van collection, mainly related to the start of the painting phase.

Thanks for clicking on the thumbnails
    StoneRoad

16. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Mid to Late September Update
    In the last week or so I have done several small updates to the fotopic collections, mainly to the Berriman's Chip Van, the Miller Fifer and NER70.
    In addition, I have updated my home page and created a new fotopic collection as there is a new project underway. More details to follow, but there are only a couple of images posted so far.
    Thanks for looking
    StoneRoad

17. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Early October Update to StoneRoad’s fotopic.

Greetings, one and all:

Over the last few days I have updated several fotopic collections, to record the progress of various projects. The Index page is in my signature, scroll down for the collections.
    We have been concentrating on the Berriman’s Chip Van, which since the replacement springs finally arrived, has now been re-wheeled. The next major job was test-firing the range, with the predictable result being very tasty! :cool1:
    Final assembly, which will take place shortly, and then the painting of the top coats, are the *only* matters still outstanding.
    Other projects that have seen further work recently are NER70, and the Miller Fifer refit.
    Additionally, I have posted a couple of extra images for the Saltburn Cliff Lift, and one or two other collections have gained more pictures, as I have been (slowly) sorting out and indexing the photographic records, no doubt there will be some further *lost* images to be found!:wink:

Thanks for looking and thumbnail clicking!
    StoneRoad

18. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Update for the start of November.

How y’all doin’?

I had intended doing this update during the last few days in October, as a couple of things were about to happen I was persuaded to put off doing it for a few days, but now I can reveal some of the recent developments.

Progress is being made on NER70, and although the work is not very photogenic, some more images should be available shortly.
    The collection for the Miller Fifer has shown a few changes, mainly to do with the wheelhouse, which has a new roof.
    Berriman’s Chip Van has been quite a convoluted saga! A further visit from the film unit has taken place recently. After the efforts over the last few days, the rebuild is effectively complete, and the only remaining work is in connection with finishing off the finer points of the paintwork.
    As usual, I’ve managed to add a couple of “backdated” images.
    The biggest news :first: has been the arrival at our workshops of the passenger cars from the Saltburn Cliff Lift / funicular / tramway. Currently, they are undergoing some exploratory surgery! Watch this space for more news…….

http://stanegaterestorationsandreplicas.fotopic.net/p67938280.html

That’s all for now, folks.
    Thanks for looking, and clicking thumbnails!
    StoneRoad.

19. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Update for Late January 2011.

Are you sitting in a warm and comfortable manner? then I’ll begin….

I had intended doing this update during the last few days in December, but as a few things were about due to happen, I let myself be persuaded to put off doing it for a little bit longer. As some of these have now been completed, I can reveal some of the recent developments. This is a summary of several recent updates, done in the last few days, and an indication of some future updates.

NER70 has had a little more work, and although it is not very photogenic at this stage, a couple of images have been posted.

Berriman’s Chip Van has, at last, been collected by Webster’s and should shortly be on display at Beamish. Hopefully, a few more images will become available once the Chip Shop itself is finished.

Saltburn Cliff Lift
    After the exploratory investigations, it was decided that the best plan would be to completely rebuild the one car, whilst the other received the matching “victorianisation” as planned, during its own refurbishment. Some images have already been posted, and a few extra will be put up quite soon to show progress.

The workshop fore-dog has taken early(?) retirement, and to mark his promotion to chair-dog he now has his own collection, which will be updated as I find the images.

The recent weather has allowed me to add some good shots; the hoar frost was most impressive.

As usual, I’ve managed to add a couple of “backdated” images, to various collections.

That’s all for now, folks. If all goes according to plan, I should have some additional images to post very soon.

Thanks for showing your interest - by clicking thumbnails!
    (You may have to wait a moment, or two, for some of the images to load)

StoneRoad.

20. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Early Feb 2011 Update to StoneRoad’s fotopic.

Greetings, one and all:

Over the past two days I have updated several fotopic collections, to record the progress of various projects. The Index page is in my signature; scroll down for links to the collections.

Most of the recent work has concentrated on the Saltburn Cliff Lift. The car we are re-building has now begun to take shape, and we are starting the work on the components for the “Victorianisation” of both cars. There is still a lot of work to do before Easter……

http://stanegaterestorationsandreplicas.fotopic.net/p68943159.html

At the end of last year we built two additional Pullman style armchairs for our first export order. The buyers have just collected them, as they wanted to meet Harry. It would seem that the chairdog lived up to the title, as it was his presence that made the sale. There will be a suitable bonus in his “paypacket” as a result.

As I have been continued (slowly) sorting out and indexing the photographic records, one or two collections have gained a few extra pictures - no doubt there will be some further *lost* images to be found!

Thanks for looking and thumbnail clicking!
    StoneRoad