If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Amberley Museum "Bagnall Bonanza" photo charter

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Spamcan81, May 21, 2009.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    SVRA/BBLS and David Williams present…
    A Haven of High Summer Industrial Steam at Amberley Museum, near Arundel, West Sussex.
    Monday 6th July 2009

With grateful thanks to Amberley Museum and their Railway Group, we are pleased to offer a full day of photography featuring steam, both narrow gauge rail and road-based, using this superb setting to recreate the days when working steam was an everyday feature of quarry and industrial life.
    At least four Bagnall locomotives will be in steam…
    0-4-0ST No.2067 Peter (resident locomotive, recently returned to steam after a major six-year overhaul)
    0-4-0ST No.2091 Wendy (courtesy Hampshire Narrow Gauge Railway Trust)
    0-4-0ST No.1491 Isabel (courtesy Amerton Railway)
    0-4-0ST No.2088 Armistice (courtesy Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway)
    Plus…
    Hunslet 0-4-0ST No.542 Cloister of 1891 (courtesy Hampshire Narrow Gauge Railway Trust). Cloister is one of the most original of the quarry Hunslets to survive, with no extended footplate, air compressors or steam brakes.
    There is also the possibility of a further ‘low profile’ visiting steam locomotive attending, with negotiations at an advanced stage.
    We expect to run from approximately 7.30 a.m. until 12 noon, and from 2 p.m. to approximately 6.30 p.m. We will have the ‘full run’ of the Museum, which will be closed to the public on this day.
    NOT ENOUGH? There will also be a number of cameos set up around the site using a 10-ton Marshall Steam Roller of 1926 vintage, courtesy of Graham Chaffer; a living van is available and can be attached for part of the day. Road-making/mending cameos are also lined up, incorporating early examples of dumper trucks, crushers and other period road repairing equipment. We also hope to have a Fowler agricultural engine of 1913 in ‘as used’ condition working the saw bench in the wood yard, though this has not been confirmed at the time of writing, and a 6-ton Wallace & Stevens steam engine is also expected. The steam crane of 1937 vintage, formerly located at Charlton Sawmills, should also be in action during the day.
    STILL NOT ENOUGH? We have requested that all crew members involved with the event dress in suitable attire, commensurate with creating industrial-style cameos evocative of years gone by, which should add an additional air of realism to proceedings. Hopefully, one or two of the locos will not be too clean, either!
    The Museum will be providing all participants with free tea and coffee throughout the event. Sandwiches and similar light refreshments will also be available during the day at reasonable prices; please support the on-site catering if you can.
    The cost for this event will be £40 per person, a very good deal considering the feast of rail and road steam and vintage cameos that will be available to us on the day. Cheques should be made payable to Amberley Museum and dated 20th June 2009.
    This event is being organized jointly with the BBLS/SVRA charter groups and David Williams.
    Bookings close on 15th June 2009, or sooner if the charter is full. Cheques can only be returned in exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of the organizers.

BOOKING FORM
    A HAVEN OF HIGH SUMMER INDUSTRIAL STEAM
    Monday 6th July 2009

Yes, I would like to attend this event and enclose a cheque made payable to

SVRA (South East Branch) for £40.00 and dated 20th June 2009.

Name…………………………………………………Address…………………………………………………

………………………………………………………………………………………..Postcode………………..

Telephone………………………………………E-mail………………………………………………………...

Please send your bookings to…
    Ian Bowskill (BBLS), 9 Regent Street, Stotfold, Bedfordshire, SG5 4ED

Please refer any questions regarding this event to Ian by PM.

2. basher

basher Member

Musician
    Sounds very tempting!

How easy is Amberley to get to, via public transport however...?

3. basher

basher Member

Musician
    Sounds very tempting!

How easy is Amberley to get to, via public transport however...?

4. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Station on national network is adjacent; should be good service as on main Mid Sussex line through Arundel.

Wish I could go - day earlier and I could, and certainly would!

Have a great day.

John

5. Spamcan81

Training moles
    As nanstallon says the museum is pretty much opposite the museum entrance.

6. Spamcan81

Training moles
    ]

We would have preferred a weekend but it would not have been a good idea to close the museum to the public on what would be a busy day, hence the choice of a Monday outside school holidays.

7. stuclark

stuclark New Member

Isn't Cloister going to be out of ticket and in need of her 10 yearly by July? I could have sworn it runs out mid - late June...

8. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

I think there may be a slip in there ! The railway station is opposite the museum entrance .

9. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    If it is, then given the boiler is only about 10 years old I think(?) then they could probably quite easily get an extension, especially given the amount of use it gets.

10. stuclark

stuclark New Member

The boiler needs a retube at least. At the last inspection it was only passed as it was doing a low amount of work at Kew.