If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Air Pump Failures

Discussion in 'Locomotive Engineering M.I.C' started by Sheff, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Fireman Dave

Fireman Dave New Member

I can't understand why this is even a topic. Down here (Australia) we run Westinghouse compressors on (all most all) steam locos, and failure is incredibly rare. All we do is fairly simple maintenance such as maintaining the slide valve in the head and ring replacements (main pistons and differential piston) as required. Having said that, they can be difficult to start when they have been stored, but they generally come good as the oil gets around.

2. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's a topic due to a number of mainline tour failures caused by air brake problems. These result in delay not only to the tour itself, but to all the other public service operators on that line, which in turn leads to compensation claims being lodged against the tour operator. So quite "topical" really.

3. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    I susspect fireman Dave has it on the head. Lubrication and maintenance.

4. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

Agreed, in eight years on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, the UK's sole standard gauge Westinghouse line, the ONLY donkey pump failures I have ever seen (or heard of) are because the pump has run out of oil and has restarted without a problem when filled up again. I have occasionally seen them 'stick', which is cured by turning the steam off then slowly on again.

5. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

Everything that you guys are posting is 100% correct....hence the failures.

6. craiggluyas

craiggluyas Member

Industrialisation Engineer
    Hi All,
    Have ready through with great interest. Being from the 15" gauge world, Air brakes are a requirement now. Most locos have axle driven compressors on the tender to maintain air pressure on the move, with a steam driven or Battery driven compressor to blow the pressure up when stationary. This works very successfully without failure, and the larger your resevoirs the more you can store on the move.

Would / Could this not work on standard gauge to improve the reliability? A battery compressor could be replaced by a petrol / diesel one in emergencies?

Just a thought. Am standing by ready to be shot down.... :)

Craig

7. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    A standby compressor, say in the support coach, was one idea I had in mind. But I could foresee all sorts of issues from noise, through fire hazard and how you'd link it to the train brake system safely.

I also considered steam turbine-driven rotary pumps (pump head as per modern traction), here cost would be an issue and location too, unless on a new build like Tornado say.

I think either could be done, but I kind of lost enthusiasm after realizing that European and yankee engines have run for years with steam pumps and it's more a question of pump build and maintenance quality.

8. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    are there not rules about the compressor supplying being on the lead traction unit unless its a permanently coupled formation such as a DMU? or does that not matter?