If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A2 60532 Blue Peter

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by big.stu, Nov 3, 2014.

1. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Yes it is and I agree with you there.

2. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Mr Hoskin is betting very heavily on steam continuing on the main line, yet it could well be a fragile existence, as Mr Smith discovered this summer, it would only take an unnecessary mishap for Network Rail to make life very difficult for operators. just supposing that mainline team did come to an end, what would be become of all his class 8 locos? i would suggest they would be an overlarge meal for heritage lines to swallow.

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    If TOCs operating main line steam understand the rules, play by the rules and accept the inevitable pathing nightmares then I can't see that there will be a problem into the future. Repeat operations over regular routes seem to be what NR finds the most straightforward for obvious reasons. We are almost getting to the point where you can work out the likely path at the point that a standard trip is proposed. Something out of the ordinary, like the Robin Hood, needs a bit more work and therein lies a risk. The enthusiast looking for the unusual will probably have to continue to rely on the RTC and WC to work their magic but I suspect that is becoming increasingly difficult.

As for Blue Peter, my guess is that she will be on the standard routes as that's where she belongs.

rule55 likes this.
  4. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Mr Hosking has presumably assessed the risks and, whilst for most people the cost of this collection of locos would be beyond our reach, he has a little more money in the bank than the overwhelming majority of people in the country.

If steam is banned, he still has a collection of locos that most of us would be very glad to own, even if we couldn't operate them on the mainline.

Spamcan81 likes this.
  5. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Think long term he is heading towards his own house TOC, which would make operation of Tornado a possibility.

WCRC stance on it does nobody any favours, a SSE derivative with Tornado on it, just think, they could put 20 on it, and still fill it!!!

6. Big Al

My guess is that WC is happy doing what it is doing and this seems to run pretty well most of the time. But it would be good for everyone if WC became less of the first port of call as that would also promote a healthier competitive market. We know that DBS steam works within different parameters from the scope of WC operations but I can't help but feel that because NR also sees the wider nature of the links DBS has with them, this may make some of the finer detail of negotiating with them more straightforward. I don't know that of course but anything that makes things more possible on the network for steam has to be good and presumably JH will be weighing all this up with his future operations and with Blue Peter.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  7. greenslade

greenslade Member

ref blue peter,after the durham mishap nelpg would only let drivers who had a familiarisation course conducted by them drive on the main line.i would suggest that the new owner gets in touch with nelpg and takes heed of any info that they have in regard to operation of b.p. on the main line.

8. MIKEP

MIKEP New Member

Could somebody please remind me what the dispute is about between WCRC and its refusal to use Tornado.

9. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Driving 60532 isn't that different. If you are familiar with driving an A4, then you are essentially familiar with Blue Peter and there are a fair number of drivers out there with experience of A4's.
    Even I can drive it!;)

10. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    In simple terms the WCRC Safety Case covers all locomotives operated by WCRC - whether owned by WCRC or not - and therefore have to meet certain requirements in terms of both operation and maintenance. Tornado received attention from someone not approved by WCRC (under its Safety Case) and therefore was unable to be used by WCRC despite the fact that the individual performed a quality job in the work undertaken.

The important principle was that at the time of the work the individual was not on the WCRC approved contractor's list (I believe he was subsequently added to the WCRC list) hence the work fell outside the WCRC Safety Case.

Sadly it is not a dispute per se but a simple requirement (of the Safety Case) not being met.

11. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Also sprach der Carnforth Völkischer Beobachter.

ADB968008 likes this.
  12. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Doesn't explain why 61306 couldn't have been worked by wcr if it was being managed by the A1 trust, if the reports are correct.

13. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    But it does suggest that theres more too it then a safety case not being met ?

ADB968008 and paullad1984 like this.
  14. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Do we have to go through all this again?! Please no!

Sheff likes this.
  15. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

I would prefer not either but Mr Kerr seems intent on living in cloud cuckoo land by offering the procedural theory we all know is not reality.

Sheff, The Black Hat and ADB968008 like this.
  16. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Course we do any opportunity to get at WCRC is welcomed on Nat Pres.

The simple fact is that no one on here knows the full story but hey it must be entirely down to those nasty people at WCRC...

Tony172 and Neil_Scott like this.
  17. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

So come on them as you obviously know what is 'reality'?

18. Big Al

Mod comment: Thread title is Blue Peter. Stay with relevant stuff please. The last eight posts are not.....

19. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Wasn't tryinging to rock the boat with my earlier post just making the point that WC/Tornado issue's been done to death and most of us are fed up with hearing about it. Back to Everyones favorite A2 though, have to say this is great news, have a soft spot for 60532 ever since the 'Ayr Raider' tour when I turned 13. What a top birthday that was! I do wonder though did Mr Hosking never get a trainset as a kid and is possibly making up it now?! :)

20. philw2

philw2 Member

What happened to John Noakes and Shep?

Sheff likes this.