If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A1SLT Mk3 rake

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Foxhunter, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Very little chance of that, the 442's further use is planned or in planning its just a case of where will they go next not IF they go somewhere else

2. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    is it that there is not sufficient stock about or is it that a mk3 design ( one of the last i believe) still far better than some of what is availible off the shelf?

3. Phil-d259

Phil-d259 Member

The 442s are being looked at as loco hauled stock for use in Wales - probably top and tailed* by 67s (which are also surplus to requirements given DBS are offering some for sale). HOWEVER this is more a reflection that the need is for an immediate capacity increase NOW - not in a couple of years time.

New build DMUs (the ideal solution) would take a number of years to arrive (bering in mind the need to put such things out to competative tender etc) while delays to various electrification schemes are threatening to cause significant delays in the proposed cascade of DMUs (though the displacement of BR era DMUs and Turbostars on Anglia by 2020 may help a little)

* Note the 442s can only work in multiple with the 73s and 33s and fitting any new form of control system such as TDM or AAR to change that will involve extra costs for the owner that cannot be justified for short term usage

4. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    CAN The 73/9 still work in push pull mode? i bet that the operator that is looking at using these wish there was still a fleet of 33/1 availible what i can't understand is that if the unpowered / powered system worked so well on the bournmouth - weymouth section worked for several years why we didnt see Up powered 73's working emu's over non electrfied sections, on the Southern region routes such as ashford to brighton rather an building a fleet of demu's

5. Phil-d259

Phil-d259 Member

Yes one variant can as it retained its high level control gear - however there isn't a fleet of 73/9s sitting round doing not a lot at present with potentially a very good leasing deal to be done for them, unlike DBS 67 fleet. Please note that as with all previous investigations into the 442s re-use, we are talking about a 'tide you over' solution involving the minimal of outlay and as such top / tailing them with 67s is the cheapest and most readily available option.