If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

7200 7202 7229

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by arthur maunsell, May 21, 2009.

1. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    how are these projects coming on?

any recent photos

2. baldric

baldric Member

See http://www.baldric.plus.com for details on 7202. A lot of work has been completed, and in the last couple of weeks we have got the front pair of rod fitted. Those of us working on it are doing most of the work, including fund raising, as well as operating Didcot Railway Centre, with very little contracted out, this is why it is taking longer than some other projects. Oh, and of course there are other site jobs, only 2 weeks ago I had to fix the 38.

Help us raise money by drinking in the bar, open over the August bank holiday.

3. arthur maunsell

that looks like a loco now doesnt it....! I assune the other too arent as advanced...?

4. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    How are these projects coming on indeed! Patience is a virtue and I know I should be but I really do want to see one of these locos running soon - if only I could afford to give enough money to see one finished tomorrow! 7202 is, I guess by far the closest to steam with 7200 making steady progress at Quainton Road now (having left Swindon a while ago) but 7229 could have been cut up for all I know. I presume it is at the ELR still but I have no idea whether it's in static "Barry" condition or in bits. In my view these GWR 2-8-2 tanks have got to be one of the most impressive tank locos left to us by posterity and I would dearly love to see one in steam (preferably at Toddington!) and this might just happen one day. If 7202 is restored to the condition of its cousin 3822 then all will be well I'm sure. 3822 was an excellent guest on the Glos Warks Rly a few years ago.

5. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    7229 is in bits at the ELR. It was suggested a while ago that the owners might be amenable to an offer on the engine. However, I believe this was quickly scotched by one of the majority stakeholders, and it is simply the case that she is not a high priority. I believe little more than preventative maintenance has been done to her since she arrived.

Fairly recent pic at: http://aaron60.fotopic.net/p56525802.html

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I remember this engine being dismantled straight off the low loader when it arrived at Bury.. within a day of arriving it was in bits. At the time it was said it would be running with a couple of years and subject to fast overhaul, back 20 years ago. Is it still owned by Ian Riley ?

I guess it's not going mainline so it's not going to be high on the revenue list and maybe fallen down the restoration list as a result ?

7. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Ian Riley idoes not own this loco outright. He is a member of a consortium that own it. Reason for the lack of progress is, I believe, political. (Sorry to mention that word on here!!!)

8. 73087

73087 New Member

7200 is in the care of the 7200 trust who have there own website as follows:

http://www.seandunne.btinternet.co.uk/

Unfortunately it has not been updated since mid 2008 but gives a lot more info than Buckinghamshire Railway Centre site.

9. Fireline

That was one of the reasons I deliberately didn't mention any potential owners by name. Oh well.....

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I didnt think it was a secret, in fact I thought it was quite well known.
    Lets hope a meeting of minds eventually happens. It's in nobodies interests, especially the owners to see it rot outside after spending money getting it so far.

11. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Fireline, thanks for posting the more recent photo of 7229 even though its not a very heart warming sight. I do hope 7229 is restored sometime as it is one of only 3 survivors of a wheel arrangement that is rare in the UK as far as I'm aware and even more so for tank locos. Its all about funding of course as this is a large loco and probably needs a great deal doing to it to say the least.

12. Fireline

Ahem.... no need to thank me! I just went on fotopic and found a pic! It isn't mine.... 8-[

13. Eagle1711

Eagle1711 Well-Known Member

Electrician
    ive heard that (7229)its going in for overhaul after the crab has been done

14. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

That would be fantastic news.

I did suggest on another thread that if there were no plans for restoration in the short term, then the NRM would be a good temporary home for her. It would provide the owners with undercover storage and provide the NRM with the unrestored Barry exhibit that many have spoken of, finally a very large tank would be a useful addition to the history of the steam loco.

15. arthur maunsell

any news of 7200 to complete the scene

16. Eagle1711

Eagle1711 Well-Known Member

Electrician
    Dont think it will be leaving some how, its a shame that its been stripped down but i guess they wanted to see what condition it were in at the time, ian riley would be a better person to comment.

17. Konrad

Konrad New Member

18. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

72xx class must be the last class of ex Barry loco's not to have run in preservation?

19. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Latest news from 7200 is that the side tanks and bunkers are now reunited with the locomotive rolling chassis.
    It will be great to see this loco (and 7202) running again. I believe a sight not seen since 1964?

http://www.7200trust.org.uk/bunkerandtanksreturn.aspx

20. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I would agree with that looking forward to seeing one in steam in the not to distant future.