If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6430 @ C&WR 13/4th June

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Autotank, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I know it is mentioned eleswhere, but I feel this deserves a thread on Galas and events. Also quite frankly we need all the publicity we can get!

6430 and Autotrailer (not sure which one, but I'll find out later) are arriving at Wallingford this afternoon and will be operating an intensive service on both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday is the 50th anniversary of the last passenger service on 'The Bunk' - unfortunately we couldn't get a 14xx which were the mainstay of the line in the 30/40/50's, but I think you'll agree 6430 is the next best thing! It will be the first time an Autotrain has operated on the branch since 1466 in the 60's.

Didcot are launching 3650 over the weekend, so why not have a pannier binge and include us in you plans as well - Cholsey is only 5 minutes away on the train (our services depart from platform 5).

Come and visit - you will be made most welcome. I should be firing at some stage so come and say hi (I'll be wearing a flat cap). More details at www.cholsey-wallingford-railway.com

2. 37255

37255 Guest

Slightly off topic, but do you know how long Birkenhead is due to be staying? I might take a trip out your way for a bit of RSH music \:D/

3. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Will trains be running to the normal timetable (i.e. xx.10 from Wallingford, xx.35 from Cholsey)?

4. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Birkenhead hasn't arrived yet - but when it does (in the next 2 weeks hopefully). It should stay with us until the ned of the year and maybe longer.

We will be running services at approximately every 40 minutes this weekend. Basically if the train is full we'll go! First on off Wallingford at 1110 as usual on Saturday. Last train no earlier that 1610 from Wallingford and 1635 from Cholsey.

5. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

anymore details on the charter ? as mentioned on twitter

6. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Unfortunately I don't think we'll be doing a charter as we simply don't have enough operational staff. There should be lots of photo opportunities during the day though. If you shove a few ££'s our way we might be able to sort out sfx effects at desired moments!

It is the BR Autocoach 167 that arrived this afternoon (picture on frontpage of www.cholsey-wallingford-railway.com). 6430 should follow on Thursday and should be facing Wallingford.

7. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Sadly, I can't get there this weekend, unless you are running evening trains on Saturday. How long will 6430 and the auto coach be staying? Any chance of a more runs later in the month?

8. 37255

37255 Guest

Not too bothered about a pannier but I might take you up on that offer when you've got an industrial working =P~

9. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Jack FM will be coming live from Wallingford Station tomorrow morning as we light up 6430 for some test runs. Listen between 6-9am on 106.4 & 106.8FM in Oxfordshire, online at www.jackfm.co.uk or pop down to the station and meet the Morning Glory team.

10. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

I travelled on the first train from Wallingford today, which departed about ten minutes earlier than advertised. Trains then continued to run as soon as they were full (& watering or other necessities completed).
    Good to travel on an autotrain & I was interested to find out that it was 50 years to the day since BR(WR) ran the last passenger train on the branch!

11. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Saw the first train off Wallingford this morning. Did not think we had time to ride as my Daughter had to be back in Reading for a birthday party at 1pm, although by the time we had a quick look round and a slow drive to see it at Cholsey, it was leaving Cholsey to get back to wallingford. Could have ridden after all...

All looked very good with the engine and auto coach well turned out, and the train was quite full! Hope you have all had a good weekend, and it was a success!

12. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    A couple from today, I brought my own prop with me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

Looks a bit to modern to me though!

14. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    It's a genuine Bonneville... although not made in the 60's I give you!

It's like Tornado, built in modern times but to an old design...

15. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

You need to weather it a bit Matt. Throw some mud over it and it will look quite realistic!

Cheers,

Paul

16. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    What a great weekend!

Really lovely engine and the coach has been done to a very high standard. Firing it was like a dream - very ecenomical on both coal and water.

Great photos Matt. If any body else has some footage I'd really like to see it!

17. barclay

barclay Member

Had a lovely morning on the autocoach yesterday. Took my girlfriend along, and she was well impressed - she's French and doesn't understand teh whole concept of railway preservation. (In France they strike for a bit of relaxation, whereas the British preserve Branch lines.) That autocoach is immaculate. What attention to detail! I particularly enjoyed watching the steps to track level operate when the train stopped to drop off a photographer. Really makes you appreciate the value of good coaching stock on a preserved railway.

Couple of points for constructive feedback - the on-train staff were a little officious at times. I know they're all volunteers, but there was a young family opposite us on the autocoach that received a bit of an unwarranted ear-bending from both the guards for having food and drink on board. It's fair enough to ban food and drink given the quality of the autocoach restoration, but this should have been stated when tickets were bought, and the request to put the picnic away should have been made discreetly and not announced so the whole carriage hears it!

An attempt at a corporate uniform for staff would be good - at times there were so many staff around it was difficult to tell who was a visitor and who was a staff member! Again, I know everyone's a volunteer, but what about a corporate C&WR tie for everyone? Only a few pounds each, and it would make the set-up look more professional.

Constructive feedback only, that - don't shoot me for saying it!

Anyway, I'll be back next time there's something special on.

18. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

A few from me:
    [attachment=1:5tmyfan5]DSC01813.JPG[/attachment:5tmyfan5][attachment=2:5tmyfan5]DSC01843.JPG[/attachment:5tmyfan5][attachment=0:5tmyfan5]DSC01781.JPG[/attachment:5tmyfan5]