If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by gresleyman, Mar 6, 2009.

1. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    Even though this topic is on 61264 (which I had my last ride out on, which was ace!).. What has happened to 5972?

2. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Student
    Its doing what it does best, hiding in Carnforth. I recall hearing that it was only ment to go out a few times a year due to its livery.

Alex

3. papagolfjuliet

papagolfjuliet Member

I was reading an early edition of 'Moors Line' last night, from a period when the magazine was receiving a great deal of letters concerning the possibility of the NYMR acquiring the B1 which was at that time still at Barry. One letter which drew my attention was from something of a leading light in the NYMR's motive power department at that time, making it quite clear that acquiring 1264 was out of the question, that she was a hopeless case and that the society which had been formed with a view to bying and restoring her would be well advised not to be bother.

Amazing, isn't it, how things have changed since then?

4. anusol

anusol New Member

Does anyone have any news of this fine machine?

I have heard rumours that the owners have run out of money?

I hope that this is not true. I just hope that the legacy of the state that the boiler was in at Barry, hasn't caught up with them.

5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Due to appear at the Gloucs/Warks gala shortly.

6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I saw 61264 at Barrow Hill this weekend. The chassis, minus boiler, was on one road of the shed, and the tender on another. They have been moved inside since 25th April. I'm guessing that they had been moved out for the gala at Easter and brought back inside once everything was back to normal.

7. sunstream

sunstream Member Friend

The Thompson B1 Locomotive Society's website address is:

http://www.thompsonB1.org.uk

A link to the latest newsletter (Feb 2009) can be found near the top of the page.
    A link to photos of the on-going boiler work at Crewe (Feb 2009) is below the picture of 61264.

8. LNER-B1-61264

LNER-B1-61264 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Positive things are now beginning to happen with 61264, having been withdrawn from traffic at the beginning of 2020 with firebox cracks.

She is now based at the Nottingham Heritage Railway (Ruddington) and the aim is to restore her to mainline condition by December 2027, in time for her 80th birthday.

It will be nice to see her out and about on the mainline again (especially in the Midlands and North hopefully) after 10 years of not venturing very often outside the NYMR.

A lot of money is going to be needed to get her back in steam, as always, but the Thompson B1 Loco Trust has launched a campaign to attract new members with quite an innovative new '6-12-64' membership scheme and the chance of winning a Bachmann 00 gauge 1264 in LNER Green if you sign up before this coming Friday 9th December. Membership is a minimum of £6 per month which doesn't seem too bad compared with similar loco groups.

Their website is now being updated on a regular basis (which is always a good sign) and the latest blog post is quite positive, including details of the prize draw for the 00 gauge loco:
    https://www.thompsonb1.org/2022/12/...ff-to-a-flying-start-but-much-more-is-needed/

If you want to see the membership benefits click here: https://membermojo.co.uk/thompsonb1

Check out https://www.thompsonb1.org/blog/ for regular news updates.

It's nice to see a straightforward appeal from an uncomplicated group in aid of restoring an original and Very Useful Engine ;)

Johnme101 and green five like this.
  9. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    While I wish the society well with their fundraising, I think £72 a year for the entry level membership is actually quite high.

Most other loco groups/railways seem to be in the £30-40 bracket. Just a thought in these financially strained times.

10. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Another one for an increasingly crowded main line market! (or it will be if all the other group's plans come to fruition). I think they would have been better off sticking with the NYMR, where they were more or less guaranteed a steady income.

11. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    No good if the majority of your members are in another part the country though.

LNER-B1-61264 likes this.
  12. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    I don't know, I think I'd be more tempted to put in a few quid a month rather than one "big" lump sum, even if that lump sum is half of a year's worth of monthly payments. Personally, £11 a month for National Trust membership seems a lot less painful to the bank account than the annual payment of £115 we pay for English Heritage membership.

13. LNER-B1-61264

LNER-B1-61264 New Member

I would like to think that there is still room in that market for a Class 5 locomotive with wheel diameters that let it go up to 75mph rather than the 60mph limitation of, say, a Black 5 (the extra 2 inches makes all the difference....)

14. LNER-B1-61264

LNER-B1-61264 New Member

Fair point but just a few other examples by way of comparison:

A1 Steam Loco Trust (A1/P2); encourage 'standard' regular donations of £12.50 per week, £10.00 per week, £5.00 per week or
    £2.50 per week.

Sir Nigel Gresley 60007; £10 per month encouraged, £25 annual fee also available for 'sole' membership, or £120 per year to become a 'Friend'.

76077 Standard Class 4 2-6-0 (Toddington Standard Locomotive Group); £10 per month (to become a shareholder).

72010 Hengist; £5 per month (minimum) to become a member.

Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust; £10 per month.

So on that basis the minimum TBLT £6 per month is probably a little on the cheap side :)

green five and Alan Vipond like this.
  15. Simon Smith

Simon Smith New Member

Not sure why they would want it on the NYMR after they wrecked a brand new copper firebox........

16. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Did they, though? What did they do differently with it compared to their own locos, or those of NELPG? And, in truth, did it have a brand new copper firebox or a patched-up old one?

flying scotsman123 and YorkyLad like this.
  17. MrDibbs

MrDibbs New Member

Thats a bold claim considering there's no evidence to back up the statement.

mgl, Chris86, Jamessquared and 7 others like this.
  18. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I hope you can back that statement up with hard evidence...

19. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

the price point probably won't deter a B1 Afficianado but may deter the casual supporter with a small amount to invest or maybe a longer term commitment . Making ways to support the engine as accessable for all will also help . I do wish you well with the overhaul as I enjoyed some magic days with the engine in scotland and also at the KWVR

20. RAB3L

RAB3L Member

It would appear that the firebox was about 10 years old. Rapid cooling or heating might have caused the cracking.

https://www.thompsonb1.org/preservation/

It doesn't mention material though. Copper would be much less likely to crack than steel.