If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6024 Cathedrals Express to Bristol, 12th Feb

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Steamage, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    TBH I was surprised that nobody else has posted of the problems,it must be added that from what the support/loco crew were saying it was crap coal and not the loco that had actually got a problem.

2. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

So glad I changed my mind about going on this one. The wife would have loved it - not! I decided not to go based on previous bitter experience of being frozen on the infamous Green Train.

I'll be interested to see what the brave new world of "Premier Standard" is going to be like as from May because I really don't feel like paying £99 to ride in that heap of junk even in milder weather. I really don't understand what the problem is - West Coast keep claiming that they are overhauling that rake but apart from an external repaint it never seems to get any better. I can't help feeling that Steam Dreams are getting a raw deal here - West Coast DO have some better stock and that which I've travelled on for RTC tours has at least been acceptable.

3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Looks like I had a "lucky escape" from this run. I was going to book this as my Club 6024 members free ML ticket entitlement but when I looked on the SD site standard class was full. Sounds like it was a bad luck day for SD a bit like that infamous run to Lincoln with 34067!
    I can't believe they still haven't fixed the heating on the tired Green set. I recall a friend moaning about it last year. And they are going to charge £99 from May........... I hope things are in a better situation for the 1st of March run.

4. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

According to UK Steam the 1st March run is DB Schenker operated with set EH01 so things should be better?

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I think I now understand completely why SD is working towards having its own set of coaches - recent brochure has the info. Good luck to them but will it save the sinking reputation of West Coast stock?

6. razrobinson

razrobinson New Member

Yes the coaching is definitely and issue with WCRC - but Steam Dreams still use them! We were in the RMB - a notoriously cold coach - but the radiators remained stone cold the whole day!
    As for the tannoy - that would be the box above the end door - that crackled every so often... certainly no announcements were made in our coach.

I fully understand that none of the causes were the fault of SD - however, if we had known that there was an issue with the coal (first I knew was reading it here), then I and several other of the passengers - could have made an informed decision as to leaping at Reading or Slough. Bear in mind if the group of enthusiasts amongst whom I was sitting are making this sort of comment - the couples who booked a romantic valentines day out will be worse!

7. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Is it just me or does anyone else think dismally about this train stock alas The Green Train?

8. jane

jane Guest

it's not just the green train was out on the cumbrian mountian 's one on saturday it was cold all day and i used my bus pass to get the ice off the window ;it was that cold and remain like that all day ;
    all the best
    jane;

9. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Perhaps because West Coast are based at Carnforth & are used to the cold, they think everyone should suffer the same. Just because the trains concerned are railtours, they have the right to be heated just like service trains. We are not in the dark ages of Stephenson's Rocket & open wagons. After all people still pay to travel on them.

10. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Well I guess one has to be prepared to dress in layers with 3 shirts and coat and etc.

11. cg

cg Well-Known Member

One trip from Bristol to London with 6024 was characterised by barely functioning heating, and I'm sure it wasn't the Green Train stock.

12. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Why?, When you have paid the level of fare that a modern railtour commands basics, such as light & heat, should not be regarded as a privilege .

13. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

That's good to hear. The EH01 set seemed to be in good health when we went on a SD trip to Ely in December.

14. buseng

Retired
    One thing about all this (the coaching stock), it is noted that there is a lack of response from SD and/or WCRC. If I was on any of the affected tours, I would insist on answers.

15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I notice on the CME thread, someone says the stock was roasting behind the Electric but much colder once the Steam loco was up front, that suggests the Electric Train Heath (ETH) is fine and it's an issue/leak with the Steam Heat on that partiuclar set.

Is the Green Train Dual Heat ?, i Believe Tyseleys Pull/MK2 rake is.

Unless im mistaken Riveira don't use Steam Heat at all, they use a Genny Van for the ETH.

16. buseng

Retired
    Seems to be a few steam leaks here.

70013 waters at Appleby | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

17. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
  18. buseng

Retired
    The ironic thing is that I have just read a comment on one of the youtube videos from a passenger saying that the only time he was "warm" was when 70013 was on the train. The ETH had failed in his particular coach so it was iced up during the 86 haulage. Swings & roundabouts!

19. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

If Elf n Safety have so much time on their hands to slap laws and "guidelines" on every tiny detail of our lives perhaps they could actually have some use and invent a rule that makes appropriate heating and lighting mandatory on all passenger trains, then the stock would be fixed soon enough!

It is appalling that "customers" who pay such excess fares are treated in this way, if not by the SD then by the stock provider. You know I'm not one to take issue on this sort of thing, but we must not stand for lack of heating during a "Big Freeze"!

20. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    When WCRC use the genny it also seems warmer. But regardless its disgusting for it to have no heat when the temperatures are so low. One advantage of diesels on the back when they have ETH,although with this tour it wouldv'e made no difference as it was a 47/0.