If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

50027- The Lion awakes

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Hampshire Unit, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I was doing some lineside clearance on the Mid Hants late this afternoon when lo and behold 50027 appears light engine from Ropley, heading for Alresford. 20 mins later it returned towards Ropley with an ECS working (unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me) I think this is the first time this year that Lion has run after a Winter lay-up. According to the MHR website, the first running day for Lion is 18th April, after the little blue engine and his friends have been and gone, so was nice to see a bit of Hoover action early.

In fact in the two hours I was at Northside lane clearing shrubbery, I was passed by 1) Advanced Footex service heading for Alresford with 925 Cheltenham on the front (this had been up and down all day): 2) 37905 light engine from Alresford, driven by Mid ants Ops Manager Richard Bentley; 3)925 light engine from Alresford- this had to stop at Ropley outer home and then proceed past signal at danger because of a temporary track circuit fault in Ropley 4) 50027 Light Engine for Alresford 5) 50027 with ECS movement to Ropley. Not bad for a day when there are no service trains!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Steve,

You need to keep your camera a bit closer to you next time your lineside. Your doing a great job between Stable lane bridge and Rookwood lane bridge. Should look great for the RAT and Dining train on a Saturday evening.

3. glen.batten.5

glen.batten.5 New Member

I think if I were working on the line I'd like to be told if any non-timetabled trains were likely to run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

This is why you are taught on the PTS that a train could approach from either direction at any time, if you were to use the timetable or notification of light engines etc then danger exists when things run late or early!

5. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Indeed. The worst are wickham trolleys, fast, difficult to hear or see, a rather feeble hooter. No problem with big locos, steam or diesel, good whistles or horns on the lot of them, although a 90 tonne loco with a loaded train can be surprisingly quiet when going down hill! But vigilance is the word. Most of linseide clearance is on embankments working some way from the running line, one should always keep crossing of the line to a minimum, and I certainly would not work in areas with restricted clearance without making sure the ops staff knew I was there andn I was certain what was running. Anyway, back to topic, it was good to see Lion out and about again, even though I am not a fan of NSE livery. The other day the MHR had all three 37's running at various times of the day ( one scheduled and two unexpected Thunderbird turns!) but I have fond memories of 50's taking me down to the West Country on relief trains from Paddington, made a change from HST's

6. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Nonsense. You must assume that the railway is open to traffic and that trains (including trolleys and track machines) can and will approach from either direction at any time, unless a PICOW (or COSS or other person in charge depending on the terminology of the railway) instructs you that a line is blocked to traffic. This is why PTS is important, and it is also important not to wander around the line on a heritage railway even when there is no advertised service. Yesterday (a day with no advertised services) four return trips between Alresford and Alton ran. Three steam and one diesel. There was also a light engine return trip from Ropley to Alresford. In addition trains were moving constantly all day at Ropley. The railway is rarely without some movement.

7. js5646

js5646 New Member

I wonder if the driver experience courses with the MHR diesels have filled yet? If I wasn't saving money to pay for my upcoming wedding, I would be sorely tempted. Anyone unaware of these courses then check the railway's website out!!

8. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture