If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 61624, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor

an ex - BR loco is most certainly the holy grail on the Gwili as far as I am concerned- when I started volunteering every train was hauled by a Manor- happy days!

coming back down to the present though, yes we could probably approach the custodians of 4115 or even 6686 and maybe get one released, but at the moment we have only one shed on the whole railway. Again, I would suggest that we need to look at erecting a proper locomotive workshop before a project of this kind could be taken on.

The other factor is a chronic lack of space to dismantle a loco comfortably, even in the open air...just goes to show how the railway needs to expand and reach it's goal of Carmarthen (with more space available there).

If we had quality facilities then it might even be the case that loco owners would be happy to base their locos on the railway, a lot of the other ingredients are coming together such as an extended run, great scenery and even some GWR coaches.

2. Harleyman

Harleyman New Member

I think it's a "chicken and egg" situation for the Gwili, viewing it as an interested outsider.

There's no doubt that the pace of expansion has increased, funded largely I suspect by the "Thomas" weekends, and that is good to see; however from an enthusiast's point of view it's all too often that old Welsh word "FENWGA" ..............

........ F****** 'Ell Not "Welsh Guardsman" Again! #-o

3. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Well 2 ways of looking at that I guess, at least we have steam even if it is the same engine every week!

At the moment the regular is 'Haulwen' which at least has a bit more pedigree, having been at Mountain Ash etc Welsh Guardsman although a sterling workhorse for us is a mix of 2 different engines.

Going back to 4588, no rumours of any bidders etc, it would certainly appear that railways themselves are probably consolidating cash wise in anticpation of the new season. I suspect if an offer is to be made it may well be from an individual or small group, not necessarily a railway.

4. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    As far as I'm aware last time I was on the PDSR and asked the question there was interest in 4588 but none of it went any further.

As for the SDR you are also all forgetting they already have a 4575 based on the line in the form of 5526, would they or do they really require another??