If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

42859 LMS Hughes Crab

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Eagle1711, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Eagle1711

Eagle1711 Well-Known Member

Electrician
    after looking on wiki about the elr's crab i noticed it said that there two more that survived.
    one at nrm and one at RAF Binbrook in Lincolnshire.

can anyone tell anymore info about this loco and whether its restored or pics or just update me please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Hughes_Crab

2. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    There was talk on this forum some months ago about the Binbrook site. There was a Bulleid pacific there as well as the Crab. Some posters on here lamented the plight of these two locos, but it was pointed out the owners are only a few in number with limited resources hence the prolonged restoration.
    Anyone know if the Bulleid is still there please?

4. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Looks like we posted at the same time, 35011 "General Steam Navigation" left Binbrook and spent quite a bit of 2008 at the WSR to assist the completion of 34046 "Braunton". 35011 left on November 17th and as far as i know she is now at Sellindge in Kent, along with 35025 "Brocklebank Line".

5. JEB-245584

JEB-245584 Member

ADI
    Hi Eagle, I remember 42859 at Barry back in the 80s, as far as I can recall it had quite a few reserves on it but its alleged that a complete new firebox was needed so this put off many potential buyers, I think it was purchased by somebody (not a group) in 1983 but stayed in Barry until 1986 moving to Hull I think.

John

6. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Slight side issue - 42700 was a local Buckley Wells engine during my spotting youth at Bury in the late 1950's and 1960's, it lasted there until the shed closed and was transferred to Gorton if the memory serves me correctly. We had many trips behind her on day trips to Blackpool and Southport in non-corridor stock. We went over to the KWVLR to see her again as they re-susitated her for a short while when on loan from the NRM in the early 1970's. A mate/working member there at the time remembers she was in a bad way then, but standards to run a loco were much lower in those days, probably wouldn't even get a match near her these days. It would be nice to see her back "home" again at 26D as part of the running fleet this time, but I suspect there would be a lot of work to do making it somewhat prohibitive. Harold.

7. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I dare say your right given 42765 has been and will be a runner again.

8. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager
    On the other hand, in those early days of preservation, substantial repairs seemed like a mountain to climb compared to nowadays. I've heard several times that 42700 was very run down, but then so were most of them. 42700 and 42765 both have fairly new boilers, both made in the 1950's at Crewe. By a surprising coincidence, from the same batch and sequentially numbered too. I wouldn't have thought it would be an impossible job to get it working again.

9. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Has the material with excellent insulation properties - beginning with the letter 'a' - been removed from 2700?

Dave

10. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I've no knowledge of 42700's condition but I well remember a conversation with the late John Bellwood when we were discussing the likelihood of various NRM locos being restored to working order. His comment was that virtually all of them were a possibility and, from that perspective, the worst locos in the collection were Coppernob and 42700.
    Having had the privilege of driving 42765 on the NYMR where it was referred to as like a K1, only better, I'd love to see both 42700 and 42859 in service again.