If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35028 - The Wessex Express 18/11/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by steamvideosnet, Oct 20, 2017.

1. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

I think you'll find that is not correct. A few years ago it was the norm but slowly but surely, the generator has been used without the need for a diesel during summer and winter. Can anyone back up my assertion?

2. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

The Merchant of Wessex 18 November 2017

The triumphant return of Clan Line this summer, with some sterling performances way beyond the Surrey hills, prompted me to book on this round trip in the South West, whose scheduled permitted a ‘there and back in a day’ journey from Manchester. I felt quite at home in the dark, dank and damp conditions as we moseyed round secondary suburban lines to keep clear of the southwest main line until just before Woking.

Hopes of more speed on the main line did not materialise immediately, as stoppers ahead and tricky rail conditions meant that we could only touch 50 after Fleet, and we were well onto the Salisbury line before touching our first 60 near Overton. Then we roared downhill through Hurstbourne at 71 and a spell of 75 before flying through Andover at 73. On the climb thereafter to Grateley, we did not dip below 67 until we had to brake for our water / coal stop.

Thereafter we had a gentle start but reached 71 at Porton and touched 72 before turning back eastwards at Laverstock rather than running into Salisbury. On this next stretch we were soon up into the 60s and then the 70s, with a particularly lively spell around Dean and Dumbridge before slowing for Romsey. Then a slow spell around Southampton was alleviated only by a good view of P&O’s Arcadia and a quick red flash of the funnel of Cunard’s Queen Victoria in the distance (remember my pjhliners moniker).

The running back up the main line continued disappointing for many miles, as a freight had been put in ahead of us, and we did not reach 60 till after Roundwood. A lively few miles in the sixties was topped by a 69 at Battledown before we slowed for another servicing stop at Basingstoke.

And now for something completely different. We were away like the clappers and within two and a half miles were up to 67 at Basing then 71 at Hook, 75 at Winchfield and on, and on, a magnificent run as if all Clan Line’s power, pent up for most of the day, was released on this final racing stretch.

During our chug back round the suburban lines to Victoria, we could bask in the memory of an outstanding final lap from this wonderful engine. This trip was well worth the journey down to the smoke.

20 pictures are at http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com/p962964471

Peter on another grey November morning in Manchester
    http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com

PS it was good to say hello to Big Al, KentYeti, and IamDaniel. Sorry to have missed Gricerdon.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  3. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think that you and I are probably not the only ones who would put these two engines into the main line steam "superleague". Mind you, it's only that 8P classification which gives 35028 and 60163 the edge on. for example, 5043. The Tyseley fleet - and indeed, Ian Riley's black fives - are up there at the very top when it comes to reliability and doing what is expected on the day, but yes, the 8P classification does make a difference. Looking at pjhliners' run above, Clan Line didn't drop below 67 on the climb to Grateley whereas in April, 5043 went through Monxton at 61 with a lighter load and better railhead conditions, but remember, we're still talking about "brilliant" versus "excellent".

Furthermore, unlike any sporting superleague, there is no exclusivity - it's open to all and I'd love to see some other "big beasts" delivering the same consistent and sparkling performances as 35028 and 60163. This isn't in any way a criticism of any other loco or its owners - just an aspiration. No one should be under any illusions about the challenges of running machines on the main line which, 60163 excepted, are at least 60 years old. Even so, the more main line steam trips that are up to the standard of the Wessex Express and Clan Line's other runs this year, the better for all concerned.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Where's Mazeppa? and 26D_M like this.
  4. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Age is no barrier to first rate mechanical condition if originality of components is not prioritised.

5. IamDaniel

IamDaniel Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Really enjoyed the day - although it was slightly odd getting home at half six, having eaten all afternoon. Certainly didn't need dinner!

Nice to see a few familar faces onboard - surely a sign I've been on far too many railtours this year? - and as alluded to by others, including my new best mate El Dono, Clan Line ran faultlessly throughout. It was my fourth run with the MN and as I mentioned to a couple of the boys on the day, I do like the atmoshere on board - there's nobody pestering you to donate a fivver to keep her going.

Also had a chat with John Farrow, who told me about next year's tours and they sound great (oh you tease - ed), so I suspect the MNLPS will be getting a fair amount of my cash in 2018 as well.

6. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    No - October 14th 2017, Surrey Hills, Clan line, Diesel on back.