If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35028 - The Wessex Express 18/11/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by steamvideosnet, Oct 20, 2017.

1. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well, a couple of days late, here it is. The general assumption that Winchester (rather than Wantage Rd or the Somerset levels) would be the feature justifying the "King Alfred" title has proved correct, although it has now been named the "King Arthur" instead, who has somewhat more tenuous connections not only to Winchester but to reality in general!

Still, call it what you will, the tour participants won't see much of Winchester as 35028 will probably be racing through at 75mph. Back via the Portsmouth Direct, which again was what I expected.

2. IamDaniel

IamDaniel Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Figured I'd bump this onto the front page ahead of the week. Weather is looking decent for the weekend, so it should be a nice afternoon.

3. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I'd love to know which forecast you are looking at! I've looked at three and all of them suggest it's going to be a cloudy day with a little light rain. Are you sure you're not looking at tomorrow's (Friday's)? That's forecast to be a bright sunny day all day.

Still, weathermen do get it wrong sometimes!

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Just so and a non stop run from joining the SWML at Redbridge right through to Worting is not to be sneezed at. The path is a good one as we are tucked behind the Newcastle Cross Country service that calls at Winchester. Southampton to Worting in 39 minutes is a sensible 'ask' that could be improved on but anything too quick might trip us up.

5. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

The old two hour train booking was 37 minutes whuch could easily be kept by a light pacific on 11. From memory my fastest was around 31 minutes with a Merchant

6. IamDaniel

IamDaniel Member

FTR has been passed.

alastair and sunstream like this.
  7. Wayne

Wayne New Member

Just a shame we have a long 20 mph TSR on the up fast through Eastleigh, around half a mile long!

8. Big Al

At least it will allow the Cross Country ahead of you to get away so you should get a clear run up to Roundwood.

9. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

yes
    Yes came over it this morning delay about 5 mins

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

If anyone is coming to Grateley to see Clan Line today, may see you there!

11. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Queen Victoria won't be viewable

12. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Mick45305 likes this.
  13. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

A couple of shots of Clan Line pulling away from an overcast Grateley following the water stop.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

14. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Seems to me like it was stuck behind every amber signal on the network.

15. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    I thought it was a bit on the dull side this morning, but it was even worse this afternoon! Anyway two more shots for the record now on Flickr; this is the first one in the Photostream:

[​IMG]RD16206. 35028 passing Fleet. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

16. Big Al

That shot at Grateley captures the issue of the day and the reason why WCRC may be very wise in using an 8F on their Santa Specials rather than a Jubilee. "Railhead conditions".

Clan Line had 13 full coaches to lug around today and that included the Riviera Generator Car. Great for clear vision through the windows but pushing the load up to around 510 tons gross. Starting out of Woking it was slippery up to MP 31 although Clan Line was not allowed to slip and the crew did a masterful job of keeping her on the edge of adhesion. So 33 over the top after a speed restriction down to 29 at Brookwood. Similar problems after Basingstoke up to Oakley but then the customary flash downhill to the water stop at Grateley. The start out of Grateley was pretty good with that load - 30 over the top and then speedy down to the turnoff at Laverstock where the weather became dry.

We were then treated to a feisty climb up to Alderbury Junction, (min of 40) and a very quick run to Romsey by which time we were early and had to sit outside of Soton for the Cross Country service to set off for Newcastle ahead of us. Unfortunately NR decided to slip a freight between the Newcastle service and us so we were checked twice up the bank to Roundwood, once as it cleared Shawford ahead of us and then again as it was slowed down to enter Wallers Ash Loop. Given the railhead conditions it would have been more charitable to have allowed Wayne Thompson to tackle the climb without that hindrance. I reckon that the section he drove from Woking around to Basingstoke was intensely challenging although few passengers would have been aware of the skills being deployed up front, not to mention Jim Clarke on the shovel keeping her just under the boil all of the time.

But we knew today was about a steam ride with a meal for most folk, so it was no surprise that Clan Line seemed a little subdued, especially given the conditions. But then Rob Binsted took over at Basingstoke. There is a rumour that today may have been his last footplate run with Clan Line. Anyway, we took off up the slow line like a rocket. (Those who were on the Sunset will remember his exit from Woking towards West Byfleet). I estimate that we were inside even time from the start by Farnborough. That's after 14.5 miles and with a considerable load. Of course it all fell apart after that once we caught up the stopper.

I have to say, that having de-trained at Woking, if that burst along the racing stretch was the last steam run I will have with Rob then I'll happily bank that alongside the last steam run I had with his father when he took Clan Line over Savernake at seventy eight with the pullmans. Seems like a family with steam (well Clan Line, for certain) in the blood.

17. Will RL

Will RL Member

Unfortunately, having been booked for fast line running between Basingstoke and Woking, Clan Line was moved to the slow line and is seen racing past Totter Lane.
    BCC5F23A-FA66-4811-8AB3-D49F0CBEF74F.jpeg

18. Big Al

A service from Weymouth should have preceded us up the main but it was late and so we were put SL to let it pass.

19. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes came over it this morning delay about 5 mins
    Very good summary Alan and another good day with Clan Line. Wonderful thrash from Laverstock to Romsey, my best ever and that with about 520 tons plus that superb start from Basingstoke. Wayne had the worst of the conditions but drove Clan Line like the great engineman he is when it was on the edge for many miles in very poor conditions. Thanks to all at UKR, DBC and NR for making it possible. Why can't WCR allow their heavy trains run in poor conditions with no DL assistance? ( Yes I know about the Jubs over Shap but they are an exception) The way DBC do it is a lesson to all. Or is it the promoter and not WCR? Answers on a postcard.......

henrywinskill and green five like this.
  20. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Awaiting the JS response