If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35018 British India Line

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 34014, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Perhaps you should apply for a job at Carnforth so you can tell them they've been doing it wrong all these years.

2. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

No. You call a rescue diesel. Everyday TOCs have them. Virgin even named them Thunderbirds. Essentially the AA and RAC of the rails. WC and DB have their own rescue diesels available.

3. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Where, in any of this, is anyone presuming to tell any loco owner what they should do? As far as one can tell its simply a chat amongst folk with an interest in common.
    Virtually every discussion seems to get mired in a handful of folk taking vicarious offence for "Carnforth" because some of us debate "what's going on". As WC is pretty much the only game in town discussing things they are involved in is largely unavoidable. Could everybody just accept that and get off their high horses defending against perceived agendas?

jnc likes this.
  4. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    I would rather you kept me out of your bias, what ever it may be, i have no intension of applying for a job that would mean having to move op north, and havig to buy a flat cap and look up whippit racing in the daily Sport

Bean-counter likes this.
  5. railrover

railrover Member

Blasphemy, the word you are looking for is "oop".

Secondly no genuine Yorkshireman would ever buy a flat cap (or anything else new) , they are handed down from one generation to the next.

Third, what makes you think we northerners would let you in?

Kje7812, Bean-counter, Victor and 4 others like this.
  6. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    You have a rather odd take on life North of London. My comment was not meant to be taken that seriously but Carnforth with The Forest of Bowland and the northern Pennines to the east and the Lake District to the north I would think is far from the worst place in the country to live.

Victor, 26D_M and RalphW like this.
  7. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Shhh. Don't tell him Pike! It's all fogs and clogs, you stick to Hastings Martin

Johnb and iancawthorne like this.
  8. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yup this morning at Norwich I was hastily having a look at the TT whilst 37422 was battered back to life, a 12 minute late departure ensured with a few anxious looks around.

9. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired

To answer your question about the car, I don't know, but knowing me the rebuild would have been finished about midnight ready for a 5:00am start the following morning.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    andrewshimmin and Jamessquared like this.
  10. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Indeed it's not, now I've studied in Leicester, lived just south of London (Surbiton) , then best part of 10 years in Hampshire but then decided to move back to South Lakes some years ago and I have to say it's the best decision, and I mean the best decision I ever made. You wouldn't drag me back to the wrong side of Crewe for all the tea in China thanks very much, besides with the WCML & the S&C within spitting distance, main line steam is easily accessible from here along with a whole lot of other advantages.

andalfi1, Johnb and 26D_M like this.
  11. Victor

Retired
    We honeymooned in The Forest of Bowland (not a lot of people know that:D), it's a grand area

12. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

That's Yorkshire thrift for you - most people spend their honeymoon in a hotel ...

Tom

13. Victor

Retired
    This BIL thread has got so silly that I can't follow who is advocating what. WCRC have done (IMO) a magnificent job, their workforce are highly skilled people, Mr Smith and all at Carnforth should be applauded. As I understand it, BIL is being 'tweeked' and it'll be ready when it's ready.
    Look at the reliability that they've managed to get into Scots Guardsman, it went through a difficult period but now it's as good as anything out ther

MellishR, Haighie, andalfi1 and 4 others like this.
  14. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
    the 'ignore' button is wonderful:)

gwalkeriow likes this.
  15. 26D_M

Vive la difference.

16. 26D_M

Not really sure the latter part of the thread was specifically about the loco or its restoration, more a generalised exchange about proving any loco.
    There was also the debate as to whether WC would take benefit from having access to a private line of reasonable length for testing purposes. I think if they did it would enhance what they already have but the current arrangements are also satisfactory.
    None of which challenges your proposition that the restoration of 35018 is admirable.
    I do think there are several folk quick to look for and point out apparently anti WC postings. As most of the same folk are fond of pointing out, nothing written on NP will change anything so by definition it is innocuous; I also think most writers do not have WC in mind as their intended audience so what does it matter when there are differences of opinion, all are equally valid.

17. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

This thread is so wayward, I thought this account of L.B.S.C.R. No. 40, built in anticipation of being sent to the Paris Exhibition 1878 might be of interest.

After completion there was one day of trials. No problems so the next day it was along the coast to Portsmouth for craning onto a cargo steamer. Thence to Dieppe.

Directly on arrival she was steamed and driven to Paris. Then there was an interlude when a series of demonstrations of the then novel Westinghouse brake were given, prior to placement in the Exhibition building. Gold medal awarded.

After some months she was driven straight back to Dieppe.

Beat that!

PH

andrewshimmin and Jamessquared like this.
  18. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Can't resist... What livery was it shopped out in? :)

19. railrover

railrover Member

Stroudley's "improved engine green". (hint, hint)

andrewshimmin likes this.
  20. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Basically standard Stroudley "improved engine green". It is believed, with no real proof, that the frames were claret in shade which was normally reserved for express machinery. The rest of the class had black frames. Certainly her frames were lined out, unlike the rest of her type.

At Havenstreet we are planning an exhibition to mark 140 years since No.40 (now of course No.W11) won her gold medal. We are rather short of facts about the Westinghouse brake demonstration runs in Paris prior to the Exhibition so if anybody has any info. could they please contact me off post.

As they say in Paris Merci d' avance

Paul H

S.A.C. Martin likes this.