If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

34046 Braunton

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by twofnine, Apr 29, 2009.

1. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    Is this a free forum or not to express our opinions?

Or is it ruled?

I started a thread for 34046, so we can discuss Braunton like Sir Archibald Sinclair, and WSR webcams, the thread was removed before I had time to reply to James

Is it wonder Mr Riley left, I dont think so! ](*,) ](*,)

2. James

James Part of the furniture

UR HUMUN RITEZ HAS BENE VYILATID

Braunton used to have its own thread, but one of the mods, in their infinite wisdom, decided to archive it.

3. porous pot

porous pot New Member

Does this mean that if I want to post a comment about Princess Lizzie I should do it on a non existant Stanier thread?

What are the Mods up to?

4. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    pardon?

5. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver

Dont ask me, ask the mods?

I was trying to start a debate on 34046, maybe my friend on here, locked it. I dont know, but I personally am not staying on a forum, if your face fits or not!!!

6. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    Ive sent PM to Admin, with complaint

7. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Once again a petty squabble has developed unecessarily, can we please grow up gents and theres no need for wind ups also, Thank you! ](*,) [-X

8. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    Shoddy, this is not a wind up, Im not just left school, im a retired train Driver..

Who ever locked the other thread, should not have done so

I stand by my complaint, to you, other mods; and Admin

9. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I posted a thread this morning before i left for work and anything could had been free to discuss on the Webcams or 34046?? So not sure myself why this was locked. One piece of advice Gents to stop this or any thread from being locked is to discuss what is in the Subject line and not get into any petty squables!
    So back on course - I will start off by saying that i think there should be more Webcams around the platforms on the WSR as the one at Minehead isn't very clear and is too far away to see anything good.

10. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    Unfortunately 34007 I missed the arrival, and departure this morning, my wife and I had to go shopping

In respect of the webcams at Minehead and Bishops Lydeard, I expect more webcams would be expensive.

I hope FMs on here managed to see 34046, with the webcam link I provided?

11. Thanks for the suggestion. Getting the existing webcams up and running has been a long and very frustrating journey.

There is a possibility of a webcam in due course at a WSR station currently without a webcam. There are no plans to install webcams at the other seven WSR stations. I'm afraid further webcams at Minehead Station are unlikely due to certain restrictions - in both a technical and a conservation sense.

Of course, impossible is not a word the WSR recognises, so I'd welcome offers of assistance from financial benefactors and/or technical experts.

Steve
    (WSR Webcam Team)

12. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    Steve thanks for your input there, and am a regular visitor to the WSR, and the webcams, and Loco roster are beneficial for all

I shall be there in Sept 12th for the real ale festival, and hopefully a trip behind Braunton, which was one of our regular engines in the 60s.

13. 34007

What would be the chance of the current Webcam moved to the other end of the Platform Steve? This would give a clearer view of the Shed and the coupling up etc of locos coming onto the stock?

When you say restrictions, is this because the camera would get in the way?

Just a thought.

Cheers

Andy

14. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    I personally believe its in the right place, because of vandalism etc..but 2 would be nice

15. 34007

2 would be ideal because if one got vandalised the other could show who done it... I hope that the WSR doesnt have to contend with this though?

16. Believe me, just about every possible location was considered, but most were unsuitable for technical reasons.

With this particular webcam configuration, which is courtesy of fiNETra, a view from the starting signals or the carriage works is not possible due to the distance from the nearest broadband connection, and/or lack of power. The camera is small so is unlikely to present an obstruction if sited carefully.

The current location is, believe me, the only location possible for the time being. The Minehead webcam project manager and the fiNETra engineer worked some real magic to make it happen at all!

Please note the Minehead webcam installation is still quite new and the various parties are analysing the set-up and possibilities. Who knows might happen next?

I hope this helps.

Steve

17. 34007

Steve,

I deal with CCTV in Supermarkets, So just a thought, how about if it was moved to the other end under the canopy - So hence the same configuration as is currently? How long have these been in place now? I hope some of these ideas can be put forward.
    Lets hope some changes are made as I feel people would probably like to see more/better view of the yard and the locos coupling up in the station. Would be fab if other lines followed this idea. i think it's a fantastic idea by the way!

Cheers

Andy

18. jasonhull2000

jasonhull2000 Member

Is there anyone who has or who can get a me a decent close up of the crest (above the nameplate).
    I need a photo of this that i can use as need it for a renumbered/renamed hornby model i have done.
    I thought i had one myself but i havent.

please pm me and i'll give you my e-mail address for you to send me this photo.
    Many Thanks

19. There are a few pictures on www.wsr.org.uk - just put 34046 into the Picture Search box (click "Search the Site" or "Photo Gallery" to find the search box) and scroll through to find them. Hope this helps.

Steve
    (WSW)

20. Thanks for the comments, Andy. I'll check a few things when next I am in Minehead.

Steve
    (WSW)