If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by jimbo, Jan 22, 2009.

1. jimbo

jimbo New Member

I see the WSR are accepting bids for 2874. On wsr.org today.

2. 14xx Lover

14xx Lover New Member

Postman, Passed Cleaner on SVR
    Thats weird, why r they seling it off again?

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Because with the WSRA purchasing 7821, it is viewd that a Manor is more appropiate for the WSR needs and so 2874 is no longer required.

4. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Then why will they happily run 3850?

It's no secret that the loco was bought mainly for the tender, and tbh it doesn't come as a surprise to me that they are now selling it on.

5. 14xx Lover

14xx Lover New Member

Postman, Passed Cleaner on SVR
    hmmmmmmmmmm i wonder who would buy it. Whats the status of it ie boiler conditon how manys parts has it got left like motion, valve gear etc.

6. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Perhaps the fact 3850 isn't an out of ticket heap of scrap has something to do with it, that and the fact the owning group also posses a Manor.

7. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Exactly. Also why risk upsetting a loco group that appears to have a good working relationship with the WSR. The Dinmore Manor group have provided the WSR with a reliable loco for a number of years, first with 7820 and now 3850. Having a reliable loco with a seemingly well supported and well organised group must surely be a win-win for both parties.

WSR have a loco available that they know is fully capable of handling their services, and DMF have a good railway to enjoy seeing their locos operating on. Why ruin that?

8. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Exactly. Also why risk upsetting a loco group that appears to have a good working relationship with the WSR. The Dinmore Manor group have provided the WSR with a reliable loco for a number of years, first with 7820 and now 3850. Having a reliable loco with a seemingly well supported and well organised group must surely be a win-win for both parties.
    [/quote:2dnj42tm]

I didn't say 3850/7820 wern't reliable, and i also didn't imply the group should leave. I was replying to the fact you were saying that a manor is more appropriate for the WSR's needs, even though 3850 has proved to be a useful loco for the line. Who's to say 2874, which is somewhat similar to 3850 wouldnt be as useful? And david, yes 2874 is an unrestored loco, but 7821 isnt exactly in top condition either.

9. jimbo

jimbo New Member

2874 would be a very useful loco, & an orig. Churchward design too,but she's going to need a MAJOR o.haul! Dont know about the boiler. It would cost the WSR , or anyone, a tidy sum to restore! This is probably why their selling.

10. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Maybe an approraite case for a cosmetic restoration and display somewhere approriate...?

11. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Well here's a thought: 3850 has proved to be successful, and the Dinmore Manor Fund are said to be looking for another ex=Barry restoration project.......

I woner why neither the DMF or WSR went for Bickmarsh Hall? Maybe they are waiting for Cogan Hall? Alternatively, I wonder if the Lakeside Trust will reconsider keeping their Hall.

12. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

I've always thought that a 28 would be a bit too long for the Minehad line, though I don't know how 3850 gets on.

Not seen the boiler personally, but judging from a couple of pics it'll need a new tubeplate for starters, I believe it's also scale city inside.

Said it before, but this is an engine I'd really like to see at Didcot, and I'm certainly not alone on that one. We have the abilty to undertake this sort of job without it running into lottery figures, it would make an ideal 'something for the future' type project, and it would enchance our presently limited pre-grouping collection. It could also be tackled in stages - the boiler being potentially used on 5900, for example.

13. andy999

andy999 Member

I don't think it's so much that the WSR see a Manor as more appropriate that 2874. It probably has more to do with the fact that 7821 is a complete loco and 2874 is a Barry wreck. Now that the WSRA have bought 7821 the WSR have the extra loco they wanted, so now there is no need to spend time and money on restoring 2874.

14. James

James Part of the furniture

November 2018 will be her centenary...there's a target for someone.

15. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

But isn't there already rather a large number of out of ticket locos in the shed at Didcot which patiently wait for their next overhaul in less than heated museum like conditions? - would it be right to add another??

16. Kerosene Castle

That's why it would be 'something for the future.'

You could apply the same argument to 4079/6023/1014.

17. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Thats a bit unfair.I dont think it being unheated is a problem at least they are under cover in authentic surroundings and Didcot only needs(can afford) a few in ticket locos at any one time

18. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I suppose a Manor is more ideal for the WSR than a 28/38 but when you consider restoration costs, a 28/38 in better condition than a Manor looks favourable, also very few loco's are "ideal" for the lines and traffic they work, most do the best they can with what they have got.

Granted 7821 sounds knackered by all accounts but i still think it would be favourable compared to 2874.

Do you mean in terms of Wheelbase Kerosene ? suppose that's the price you pay for class 8 power on a line with a few tight curves, not that a Express loco with 6'8 drivers would be any better suited!.

I suppose the WSR is a bit of a balancing act in terms of loco's, the smaller ones will struggle with heavier loads and larger ones wont be happy with tight bends or slow speeds.

Manors may well be the ideal loco but Manors are not always availible, thats where 3850, 88 and the rest of the Minehead stud come in.

19. Kerosene Castle

Yeah, things were tight enough with the Castle, when it went down there.

20. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

Doesnt a 28/38 only have a wheel base 6'' longer than a pannier??