If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

2009 - A difficult year for the WHHR?

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Realist, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Realist

Realist New Member

So the steam on the Cambrian that brought a fair number of passengers to the WHHR this year will not be running round at Porthmadog in 2009. With the WHRP and C finally connecting aswell, might it be a difficult year to come?

http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/thecambrian.html

PH

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

The Cambrian will still be calling at Porthmadog so why shoud the fact it no longer terminates there be an issue ?.

3. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

It's because - as witnessed by postings from Realist elsewhere - he can't miss an opportunity to try and cast gloom and doom on the WHHR. Why this should be, I've no idea... ](*,)

4. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Indeed. Lets wish both the WHR and WHHR both well for the new year.

Is the photo on the WCRC site taken at Caersws - ie not actually on the Cambrian Coast?

5. Realist

Realist New Member

Because unlike last year it will not be turfing all the passengers out at Porthmadog to wander around for a few hours. Next year it will continue up to Pwllheli to run around. That means there will not be a hundred or so passengers looking for entertainment that end up at the WHHR. Even the WCR's Cambrian page does not mention the WHHR in its Porthmadog attractions..
    I read on the local paper net news site that the WHHR had offered the use of their Porthmadog station to the WHR but the offer had been turned down. Also the FRC had offered the use of the FRC's Porthmadog station to the WHHR to run their Russell train service on the WHR!

PH

6. 76079

76079 Member

All this has been done to death on other threads do we really need yet another can of worms opening?

7. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I for one will be visiting the WHR next year - can't wait to steam through the Aberglaslyn Pass. I was also going to call in at the WHHR, but the impression I get on here is that they a bunch of whingers who are hell bent on cutting off their nose to spite their face, so I probably won't bother now. Keep it up and your moaning will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

8. blackfive

blackfive Member

From my own experience when visiting, the impression you'll get if you do visit will be quite different.

9. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yeah - probably a bit harsh of me to tar them all with the same brush, but a bit of "glass half full" instead of "half empty" wouldn't go amiss now and again.

10. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    It is a shame Realist de-values himself by this kind of ill thought posting.

From my point of view Porthmadog will continue to be the main destination while the extension allows the enthusiasts something new and different. Lets face it, their isnt much to do at the final destination!

11. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

I really like Pwllheli.... a bucket and spade and a good hour on the beach with a nice cup of tea... if the weather holds of course.

12. ChuffChuff

ChuffChuff Member

CEO
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Can someone explain to me (a non-narrow gauge person) the relationship between the FR and the WHR? I have to admit I thought they were basically the same thing until I heard of a "spat" recently. Now I'm just confused.

I was/am considering a trip as I think the wife and toddler would like narrow gauge...

I'd rather avoid any bias or politics here; I'm looking for a fact-based answer if possible. (I might be asking a bit much though!)

Thanks,

Neil.

13. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Explained at:

http://whr.bangor.ac.uk/whichwhr.htm

Or if you'd like to cut past the older historical stuff:

http://whr.bangor.ac.uk/whichwhr.htm#revival

14. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Sorry but that's a load of tosh!, if people want to ride the WHHR they will, what makes you think in previous years 100% of people went across to the WHHR rather than walked around the town of Porthmadog or some other activity ?, you can't force people to visit an attraction you know but you can attract them which is what the WHHR is pretty good at with Cambrian passengers.

People will get off at a stop with an acitivity that suits them rather than one because it's at the terminus amd nearby, the way the WHHR advertises itself will have the biggest say in passenger numbers in 09, having sampled them in 07 via the Cambrian, i don't think they will do any worse than in 08 and 07.

If we use your doomsday theory then surely no one would be getting off at Minfford ?.

I don't sit on either side of the fence when it comes to WHHR/FR disputes (i wish both outfits well) but it does grate me when some people set out to tar someones image.

15. Realist

Realist New Member

I don't, my point is that there will not be as many people getting off at Porthmandog next year because as it is not the terminus. Thus the WHHR will not get the custom of people going all the way.

I went to Minffordd twice in July and August to see the south bound steam train, I was surprised to see that no passengers were there to get on. I don't know how much business the FRC got from the Cambrian steam, but if those two trains were representative........Anybody.....?

PH

16. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

The majority of passengers will have paid to enjoy the Cambrian experience and they will want to get the most out of it.... But that said, it's all about choice and plenty of options along the route.
    Gwynedd Council have been pressing for the service to be extended to Pwllheli for some time as they believe it only right that passengers are given a choice between the two towns.

17. Realist

Realist New Member

Do we know why they only run on weekdays?

18. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    If you're referring to The Cambrian, IIRc its because traditionally saturday/sunday are days when people travel to/from their holiday resort, and as this operation is aimed at Holiday makers it is best to run them when there are more people in the area concerned.

Also a side issue would be the loco availability. The loco / support crew all put in a great amount of effort, and you can't really expect them to do 7 days a week for 2 months. There also the need for washouts and any maintenance that is required aswell.

19. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

I think it is assumed that people are either arriving on holiday or departing at weekends and therefore perhaps the trade would not be there.
    But logistically, it would be possible to run a weekend service.

20. snowtownbob

snowtownbob New Member

Call me an old cynic if you will, but every time I hear someone use the phrase 'believe it's only right...' I hear the sound of axes grinding in the background. There is a major problem in Pwllheli where punitive car parking charges and rigid enforcement of on-street arbitrary car parking rules are ruining trade and the Chamber of Trade are becoming very militant. Whether there is a connection here, I could not say, of course.