If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

1970's book help?

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by pete12000, Apr 14, 2012.

1. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi,
    wonder if anyone can help, I remember owning a railway book in the 70's which had a poem in the back, lines from which included,

Asthmatic but brute forceful too
    With rusty sides and clanking rods,
    yet still alive and servient

I can't remember anything else about the book though it will have been some kind of photo book, not sure whether the book or poem were any good, though it would be good to identify it??

Many thanks!!

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Not got the book to hand but it sounds like Colin Gifford and Horace Gamble's "Steam Railways in Industry" to me.

3. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Thanks for the information Anthony!

I'll source a copy of Steam Railways in Industry, the original was subject to a (later regretted) clear out many years ago......not that I'm on my own in that though

4. Anthony Coulls

I have a spare copy Pete if you'd like to PM me and we can sort something out.

5. pete12000

pete12000 Member

I've now had the chance to have a look at "Steam Railways in Industry" with the much appreciated assistance of Anthony Coulls, a fascinating book in it's own right, unfortunately not the book I owned back in the 70's, so if anyone else has any suggestions......they'd be most welcome..

Thanks!!

6. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Vision of Steam, around the Welsh Coalfield ? - I will check today.

7. Anthony Coulls

I could have confused it with that too as I have that one as well...good call.

8. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Hello, and thanks for the suggestion, I've searched on the internet, but not been able to come up with anything, could you tell me the publisher or ISBN number, the clincher would be a match with the two or three lines from the poem listed in my first post?
    Really don't know why I still remember these...?

Thanks, again, Pete

9. Anthony Coulls

Just been upstairs, and it's not Visions of Steam...or Peter Cavalier's Rail and Steam album. I do recall it though, and it has industrial echoes with me. Need to check the Giffords, or All Trains to Stop, or the Krause/Hunt "On and off the beaten track" a bit later. Might it have accompanied Geoff Silcock's "Last Beasts of Man" series in Railway World?

10. pete12000

pete12000 Member

I appreciate your efforts! I'm not sure about it accompanying the series in Railway World, as a young teenager funds were very limited, though there were a few of us who did occasionally get hold of the magazines of the day.

I think you could be right about "industrial" echoes, possibly overseas steam too? It would have to be early 1970's, I'd be 15 by 1974, and had ditched my steam interest by then, I'm please to say it came back in my early 20's ! and won't be getting ditched again!!

11. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Anthony: Here's another "railway poetry" title I came across on t'internet, do you have a copy in the library that might give the OP his answer? I dont possess a copy: "The Poetry of Railways: An Anthology" Hopkins, 1966. Pub: Frewin: ASIN B0000CN830.